PDA

View Full Version : Reverse gear........

srubrn
02-16-2003, 21:33
I have seen several post here saying that their reverse is real low on the ZF. I must have transmission that was built with gear three in the place of reverse. I swear I can go about 20mph in reverse and I hate it!!! I have 4x4 too.

Seattle Steve
02-16-2003, 23:24
From what I have seen of transmission specs, the reverse ratio is very close to first gear or "granny low" on the ZF6. I mention this because it should be very easy to do a seat of the pants comparison of the two. Considering the loads this truck is expected to move, I would take mine back to the dealer and raise cain if the reverse ratio was like our 3rd gear. That is way too fast to be trying to move 20,000 + pounds from a stop AND we need to be moving slow in reverse with trailers or a full bed for safety's sake.

By the way, thanks for all your work on the double fuel filtration. I am very interested and look forward to learning from the results.

Bobcat698
02-17-2003, 07:20
Well, I know the reverse gear on our 5-speed gasser was really high, you'd have to put it in low range to move loads over about 8000lbs especially if you were backing uphill, otherwise you'd constantly be killing the engine.

Garrett

Jelisfc
02-17-2003, 09:16
Granny low is 5.79:1 and reverse is 5.23:1. A little faster but not much. Works for me with no problems.

srubrn
02-17-2003, 18:09
It seems really fast to me. I also have to put it in 4low to back my 10k trailer up any kind of a grade because the whole truck starts to jump and shake. I tried changing technique on the clutch and it does not work. I put in 4low and all is well.

Jelisfc
02-18-2003, 08:50
I haven't had that much weight on mine but I have noticed with the drive by wire letting the clutch out without touching the gas works the smoothest. It might not work with 10K on the back uphill but I let the clutch out then feather the gas.