PDA

View Full Version : HID Headlight upgrades

nopower65
03-14-2004, 18:14
I was recently on Sylvania's website:
http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/hidfaq.htm

And they claim to have HID upgrade kits for many vehicles.
Has anyone tried this? I had HID's on my last Audi-- it was like daytime in front of the car. I surprised at the lack of light on my new 2004 CC Silverado (LLY- oh boy!)

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2004, 19:19
Doesn't look like they have them out yet for the 2004's. They are showing an application for 99-02 Silverado, and 00-03 Tahoe and Sub's. I would expect a kit for the later years to be out pretty soon.

They don't list anything for GMC, though :mad:

britannic
03-15-2004, 08:00
I'm using the SilverStar replacement headlights, they're only 100Kelvin cooler than a HID and way brighter than a conventional halogen. They cost about $25.00 per bulb or sealed beam.

JimWilson
03-17-2004, 13:48
A simple bulb replacement, while beneficial, is no where near as dramatic a difference as an upgrade to true HID. Those lights are really amazing, especially if they're in a projector housing.

mps007
03-29-2004, 18:50
Trading my 01 in next week - They're not getting the Xenarc HID's - I doubt I can fit them to the 04 - if any one wants em' let me know

Mps

TSimpler
03-30-2004, 06:13
I'll take em. Just let me know, I'll bet they will fit my truck.

Tsimpler@direcpc.com
505-228-4913

Thanks

Trent

stretch
03-31-2004, 13:19
mps007, Check your e-mail ! Sorry Tsimpler, I don't think those lights will work on a GMC....

Mark Bajus
04-06-2004, 13:20
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

very interesting reading for anyone looking at lighting upgrades.

CALIMAX
04-08-2004, 07:43
mpsoo7, Do you still have those lights? If so how much? I'm interested in the upgrade.

mps007
04-08-2004, 17:49
Sorry Guys - they are now Lighting up Stretchs Country roads-

I wish they would have fit my 04 ---

stretch
04-09-2004, 11:49
Yes they are !! Thanks mps007 :D

cabletech
04-09-2004, 15:27
CALIMAX
I have a set of the Sylvania HID lights from a 2002 Chev. I was going to put them on E bay. If you are interested let me know.

Jay
jdp454@hotmail.com

[ 04-09-2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: cabletech ]

thartman
03-20-2005, 18:12
I did some searches on this site and didn't find the answer - so here goes.

Do you have to upgrade the Harness in order to use the Sylvania's or any other brighter bulb?? Looking to get more light but not spend a lot of money - the High Beams suck!!

jbplock
03-21-2005, 04:27
Originally posted by thartman:
...Do you have to upgrade the Harness in order to use the Sylvania's or any other brighter bulb?? Looking to get more light but not spend a lot of money ... The Sylvania Silverstars are the same wattage as OEM so no need to upgrade the wiring.

Regarding more light, there are several options. The least expensive is to modify the OEM wiring such that both the Low Beams come on with the High Beams. There are two ways to do this. Many folks have added a diode between the coil inputs on the Low beam and High Beam relays. This causes the high beam output from the BCM (Body Control Module) to operate both Relays when the High beams are on. Another method is to add a wire from the High Beam Switch to the Flash-To-Pass (FTP) input on the BCM. Pulling back on the Turn Signal Lever (FTP) turns all four headlights on. Adding a wire from the High Beam Switch to the BCM FTP input will turn on all four headlights whenever the high beams are on. I have Silverstars with the FTP mod and the increased light is a big improvement over stock. See Another All-Headlights-On Mod (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001708#000000)

There are also aftermarket kits available that add relays with heavy gauge wire to deliver maximum power to the headlights. These setups also enable all four headlights in the high beam position.

See DSG Light Booster (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/lightbooster.htm) and Kennedy Diesel Headlight Booster (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults2.cfm?Category=5&SubCategory=81)

smile.gif

[ 03-21-2005, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

Nix
03-21-2005, 20:23
The Silverstars are visibly better than the OEM bulbs, but the low beam replacements lasted about 8 months and burned out within weeks of one another. I put the OEMs back in because they still work after over 3 years. Not worth $25 bucks a pop when you consider that the OEMs are like 4 bucks at AutoZone.

Diesel Crat
03-22-2005, 10:40
Have had the Silverstars in for a little over a year now and no problems, knock on wood. Had Street Glow lamps in before and was very disappointed as they only lasted 8-10 months. Hopefully, these Silverstars last as the light from them is significantly better than stock.

DmaxMaverick
03-22-2005, 11:04
I absolutely HATE the cost and short life of the Silverstars!!! 8 months is pretty good. Mine usually last only about 6 months, high or low beam.

On the other hand....
I'm spoiled! I hate "yellow" headlights! Once you've had Silverstars, you can't go back. The next step is HID's, and they don't make them for my truck!!

I have the JK headlight harness, with the 4 beam diode. Perhaps the higher current shortens the life?? I guess I'll live with it, 'cuz I won't settle for less. I had the Philips Rally higher wattage bulbs before, and they were bright, but yellow. The "whiter" light, even at a lower wattage, is far superior.

I'll continue replacing the lamps and b!tch about it. It would be nice if the price came down. They are easy enough to replace.