PDA

View Full Version : is the transgo allison shift kit worth it

kevincolliver
11-20-2005, 18:04
i have an 02 gmc extended cab short bed, i put a predator and pacific performance boost valve on it and the first time to the track i ran a 14.70@96mph, i thought that was pretty good, that was 10k miles ago, now my tranny is starting to hang in 2nd and 3rd and it seems like my truck spends a long time against the rev limiter. is that 200.00 transgo shift kit going to help this and if so how much should i expect to spend having it put in.

More Power
11-23-2005, 11:35
The time to install a TransGo shift kit or an ATS Co-Pilot kit is before the transmission has been damaged. If done before, it'll help add torque capacity to the transmission. If added after the clutch packs have been glazed, it'll not likely do enough to satisfy the typical hot-rodder.

Bite the bullet, and install a performance transmission. Then you go about as far as you want.... :D

Jim

kevincolliver
11-23-2005, 15:08
that is the exact response i was expecting, should i just buy the suncoast V and be done with it, i am waiting on this transmission problem before i add the propane and methanol

madmatt
11-23-2005, 15:22
That's the way I'd go if spraying. If you were just stacked the stage 4 kit would work pretty well for racing. Are you just going to be draging or plan on doing some hooking too? If pulling w/ it I'd most certainly go w/ the stage 5 to begin with.

kevincolliver
11-23-2005, 15:30
i dont anticipate any pulling, mainly just drag racing, brians truck shop is here in the same town and he is running some 12.80's@112mph, that is my goal, he is running a twin turbocharged 6.0 ford,

kevincolliver
11-23-2005, 15:35
sorry for the double post, for the 500 dollar price difference why not buy the stage V, is there anywhere better to buy them than straight for suncoast. merry christmas to kevin smile.gif

madmatt
11-23-2005, 16:03
twins to get in the 12's :rolleyes: ?????? Also the listed price of the stage V doesn't include the T/C which is a good chunk of change that is included in the stage 4. I can't remember if that was the case w/ any other parts in the two kits though. Try John Kennedy (he can be found here) or extreme diesel products (http://www.extremedieselproducts.com) and talk to Chris.

kevincolliver
11-23-2005, 16:20
if i buy the stage4 kit with the converter how much should i expect to pay to get it installed, probably on a core transmission, and keep mine separate

madmatt
11-23-2005, 17:25
You mean total or just labor? I'd roughly guess $3500+tax. That price depends on shipping price, current price of kit cost, and labor rate of who ever does it. when you have it done make sure they flush your cooler. also I'd spring for a Transfer case brace (if this applies to your truck) as twisted off t-cases make for expensive repair bills but that may not be an issue drag racing.

kevincolliver
11-24-2005, 19:59
answer me this, does the hanging in gears for a few seconds once out of every 10 launches meant the tranny is already damaged, or would something along the lines of the bully dog shift kit and different fluid, maybe the new dexron, help this out, i may be getting me a different truck to play with.

madmatt
11-28-2005, 09:04
At the least I'd put a suncoast converter and a transgo if it's not already slipping or limping. I personally won't use/install anything Bullydog or Banks.