PDA

View Full Version : adding suspension capability

heartbeatcanada
02-13-2003, 16:26
I have read several different ways to beef up the front and rear suspension. My delema is i have a snow plow on the front of my 2500hdD/A. It ways approx 950 to 970lbs. I have turned the torsion bars up 6 full turns.I don't want to crank them up anymore as when the plow is off, which is after every snow storm, the front is going to be way too high and i will need an alignment every spring and fall. When i raise the plow it sags a good 2-3 inches. I'm worried about premature wear on the front end as this is the heaviest plow i have had before(hence no problem with the ifs)

Now for the rear leafs. Would getting helper springs put in be better than air bags or timbrens? I put a skid of salt in the back, when i am going to salt which weighs 2640lbs. My leafs are arched the opposite way when loaded with salt. This is only for the time I'm plowing, then i salt and half of this weight is gone. I had a 1/2 ton before and put 3/4 ton leafs in and never had this problem (1998 style). Thinking that if the 1 ton springs fit, which i would assume they will, would be the way to go. I have load range d tires and am worried about the leafs getting lazy. :( No i don't want to overlaod the truck all the time, just in the winter when salting and plowing. Getting a dually is not an option. Must modify or upgrade stock suspension and would like this truck to last a long time and make me money as this is why i bought such a power plant. Any suggestions would be appreciated as this has to be done before i ruin this truck. :confused:

thechevyhdman
02-13-2003, 16:58
The truck I plow with is a 2001 Chevy 2500HD non Dmax, does not exhibit the same problems as yours. My plow a 8ft Meyers weighs about 750 pounds. I have carried a complete bed full of sand/salt.(complete I mean if I spread the hump of sand from the bucket truck...the sand would be water level full to the sides of the bed.. When the plow is lifted the front end dives down no more than 1.5 inches...with a load of sand in back...the truck rests about 2 inches below stock height. 950-970 pounds is extremely heavy for a 8 or 8.5 foot plow...Most plows, even V plows weigh in at 800 pounds. The torsion bars on out 2001 are turned up 4 turns and our 98 1 ton with an 9 ft plow are turned up 3 turns....As for alignment never took that route and never wore tires funny or anything no matter how many turns. 2 or 3" seems excessive for squatting....What kind of plow are you running(Boss,Fisher,Diamond,Western) You wont ruin your truck.....take my word on that...IF you saw the manuevers/beatings Ive given a crappie 6.0 4L80E 2500HD the Dmax/Alli can only be better. Bill

IndigoDually
02-13-2003, 17:47
I would put Timbrens in the front and a good set ofair bags in the back. Get the onboard compressor and You can vary the amount of air when the load changes. My 3500 sags in the front as much as yours does and I am running an 8 1/2' Western UltraMount. I plan to install the Timbrens also. If You swapped in 1 ton springs then You would have to suffer with the harsh ride the rest of the year. The 1 tons have another spring or two in the pack and they have helper springs also.

John

heartbeatcanada
02-13-2003, 18:51
the chevyhdman

I am running an Artic 8ft poly trip edge plow with removable sides. Specs on the plow are 814lbs for the plow and 75lbs for each wing. It is by far the heaviest plow i have ever run. I especially notice the sag when trying to stack snow, with the wings on, as there is a tonne of snow i am pushing with the wings.(what a time saver though)My connection at Artic said some of his clients are cranking there torsion bars 11-12 full turns. :eek: :eek: I didn't think there was that much adjustment and don't want to go that extreme as i'm sure you would need an alignment for sure. I think i am leaning towards the timbrens in the front and am not quiet sure about the rear.

IndigoDually

Never thought of the ride aspect of the 1 ton leafs. Wouldn't really make sense to have the rough ride for the rest of the year, as the trailer takes the brunt of the load during the building season. Jeremy :D

GM Smitty
02-13-2003, 18:52
IndigoDually got it right. Timbrens up front, air bags in the back. My truck with the timbrens really doesn't squat much with the plow (it's a big plow, see sig). I don't have a salter in the bed, but I do load it heavy and the Air Lift system is always up to the task. This is the first IFS truck with a plow and the timbrens, and I regret not having them on my 2 previous IFS trucks with plows. They really don't affect the ride either.
Josh

heartbeatcanada
02-13-2003, 19:14
GM SMITTY

Do you have your torsion bars cranked up as well as the timbrens? How much sag do you have now compared to before? I think you and Indigo have the right idea. Looks like I'm going out tomorrow to do some shoppin. Jeremy smile.gif

GM Smitty
02-13-2003, 19:40
heartbeat- I did crank up my torsion bars slightly right after I picked up the truck from the dealer. It had nothing to do with the plow, just leveled it side to side and raised it maybe 3/4". I did not do anything to them after mounting the plow.
The timbrens were installed the same time as the plow, so I don't have a comparison before and after. It might sag an 1" to 1 1/2" with the plow raised now (we're getting snow this weekend, I can check exactly for you when I hook up). We have a '98 2500 Sierra with a plow and without timbrens. Sags like crazy with the plow on, rides like doody when it's off. Hope this helps.
Josh

heartbeatcanada
02-14-2003, 17:01
Just lurkin around some sites and came across something i never thought of, helper springs. Any good or bad stories or any thoughts would be appreciated. Looks like a good set up, as long as it still some what rides like stock. Definetly going timbrens in the front. Just not sure on the rear and don't want to regret it later. Thanks for the info, you guys are top notch in my book.

Jeremy :cool:

MadDuraMax
02-14-2003, 18:29
heartbeatcanada,

The best solution IMHO for the rear suspension would be to go with the air springs. Add-a-leafs and other methods lack the ease of adjustability for differing load conditions.

Adding passive (you add/remove air) air springs is quite cost effective if you shop around a bit. Air rides are becoming the standard on heavy duty truck/trailer for these same reasons .. Easier on the truck/trailer, cargo, operator, maintenance and now are cost competative with springs.

Mark

Maverick
02-15-2003, 01:45
I got Timbrens on the front of my 3500. I have a 9' steel Sno-Way plow. I am cranked 2 turns and sag 1/2 to 3/4 " in the up pos. Why is everyone putting 50 leaf springs and semi air bags and 55 gallons air compressors on for the rear suspension? This current GM truck needs jack squat. Load it up and go. With over 9K on the rear axle (verified by a scale) my truck has yet to whine and cry to momma.

thechevyhdman
02-15-2003, 11:29
Heart beat Canada....Shoot me an email I have a PDF file from Meyer snowplows on adjusting your torsion bars. Gmanjr96@aol.com

NWDmax
02-15-2003, 14:05
I have a lance camper that weighs 3200 to 3400lbs.When I put it on I put 70 psi in the bags and that brings it back to stock height and its much more stable.When I take the camper off I put the bags back at 10 lbs and she feels stock again. smile.gif