PDA

View Full Version : Suncoast Installed

Brandenburg
09-17-2003, 20:06
http://www.mudbogg.com/misc/newtranny.jpg

Yup, that is the sight of a Suncoast tranny rising into my truck Tuesday evening. Took me about 3 nights after work to do it, had it out Monday night, new one pretty much in Tuesday night, tighten TC bolts, put drive shafts on and test drive Wednesday night. All in all, it wasn't too hard of a job, a little frustrating at times (dam dipstick tube!) but once it was over, nothing but pride and a sense of accomplishment! Considering that I hadn't done much wrenching on a newer truck, had little help, and didn't have any sort of book or instructions, I didn't think this time was too bad. Tonight, I spent two hours teaching it normal mode (I haven't taught it tow/haul yet but I'll do that tomorrow) and so far all I can say is that I am impressed and very pleased. The shifts feel very refined, nice and firm but not harsh and when the TC hits, you know it! The only complaints I have is that it didn't include a new transmission - transfer case gasket (my old one broke when separated) or a T-Shirt!
For anyone contemplating doing this, my suggestion would be to get the tranny on the jack and pull the transfer case right away. This makes it much easier to get at everything else including the bell housing bolts. When putting the tranny back in, get the dipstick in position before lifting the tranny up and tightening to the engine. I had it all up and tightened before realizing the dipstick tube wasn't up there and it really sucked getting it in there afterwards, I ended up having to bend it then pry it back to get it to seat properly. When tightening the TC bolts, leave them loose until they are all in, I snugged them all a little and when I got to the last one, it wouldn't start so I had to go around and loosen the other 5 again. I had to buy a wrench to turn the motor over with, I'm sure it's probably metric but I didn't know what size but a 1-7/16 12 point socket fit it ok so I bought that size in an open end wrench with a twelve point box. As for oil, it took one pint less than six gallons to get her filled all the way up. I think that's all I have to say tonight. :D :cool:

heartbeatcanada
09-17-2003, 21:02
Happy shiften. Wait till you drive it for a couple days, it only gets better. tongue.gif Later Jeremy

Kennedy
09-18-2003, 05:30
Holy crap, I never looked at the depth on that cast pan! I'll have to crawl upstairs and measure mine as compared to the Allison deep one, but it sure sounds deeper!

Let me know how much "transitional ignorance" you have to learn out of it before it settles down...

Brandenburg
09-18-2003, 18:28
I was expecting the worse after I talked to you so I was surprised that I didn't get any real hard shifts when I first started out. I did two runs up at light throttle and it didn't feel much different than my old tranny except for the positive TC engagement. I then did the 50 to 1st and I swear it did something because afterwards the shifts became quite quirky. For example, the first couple times afterwards while still at light throttle it hung in third then went through fourth real fast to fifth. After an hour or so of driving it settled back down to about normal.

As for the oil capacity, I forgot to ask them but TC bolts go to factory spec. I put 3-1/2 gallons in to start with, it showed in the cold on the dipstick so I started it up to let it pump up the converter and stuff but at that point, it wouldn't even move. I then added another gallon and tried again and it moved but I couldn't see it on the dipstick while running. At five gallons, I was beginning to wonder if it was on the dipstick and I just couldn't see it but I finally decided it was just touching the bottom. Anyway, today I'm still 2/3 of the way into the hot range while hot and running which is where it was when I filled it.

dmaxalliTech
09-18-2003, 18:34
If that pan was any deeper, you wouldnt need a jack to get it in!! Good Job. I will offer a piece of advice on the TC bolts. If you look carefully at the flywheel, one of the holes is oval shaped while the rest are oversized slightly, install and tighten the oval shaped hole bolt first, the rest will line right up nicely. Congrats on installing it yourself.

dmaxalliTech
09-18-2003, 18:38
Now, you need to come to G-Rap in Oct and show it off!

Brandenburg
09-18-2003, 18:44
Thanks for the tip, I'll remember it but I hope I never have to do it again! There were a few times I was wishing I had just taken the whole thing to GR! :mad: :D

Brandenburg
09-18-2003, 18:54
I so wish I could make it but I have to be in my friend's wedding down in Three Rivers on Saturday and there is a rehersal Friday. I think my dad is going to make it to the GTG though and I might let him take mine but only if I can take his because I can't stand driving anything but a DMAX, especially a van!

Kennedy
09-18-2003, 19:37
Aaron,

I think I found a REALLY good combination to test it. After my little drive tonight, I may be needing a relief pitcher soon!

Was that your dada that called about the PSD van?

mackin
09-19-2003, 02:20
Brandenburg

At what power level were you last running when you started the tear down ?? I wish now that I had drove mine around stock for a few days prior .... I shut mine down level II 90 HP ..

Did you have access to Tech II for reset of tap cells and relearn mode ??

I've talked to Joe and he said that there may be a bit more importance put to doing tap cell "zero" then he originally thought .... In one instance there was an issue where the scan toll had communication issues and he was unable to reset ... So I's debating .....

Mac :confused:

I'm almost tempted to fire her up and .... http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

Kennedy
09-19-2003, 05:50
FWIW, I reset mine to zero before driving. Wear a mouthguard...

After driving through the gears for a while, it settled down, and all was well...

mackin
09-19-2003, 06:12
Originally posted by kennedy:
FWIW, I reset mine to zero before driving. Wear a mouthguard...

After driving through the gears for a while, it settled down, and all was well... ATS or Suncoast ...??

We were thinknig of letting it learn on the rollers ..... No mouth piece needed ...

Mac :D :D :D

Brandenburg
09-20-2003, 03:23
John, that was my dad. What's the combination?

Mackin, I shut down in 125. Although my tranny was probably still in pretty good shape compared to yours. :D

403turbo
09-20-2003, 03:36
All,

I just got my truck back from the Trans shop yesterday. Suncost convertor, new C2's, and the transgo kit. The shop I used didn't have a Tech2 to reset TCM. Truck drives fine and doesn't feel all that different until you pull a WOT 2-3 or 3-4 shift, with the TC locked....then you can really feel the quick firm shift. I have only put 60-70 miles on it so it is still a little squirrley(sp).

I just had to take the truck out and flogg it up a few of the serious hills he have in the southern tier of NY, loaded the trans right up and she shifted like a dream, coming down the hills the rears locked up a few times from the downshifts, BTW what does it mean when your rotors turn blue? :D :D :eek: :eek: :cool:

Now it's time to get serious about making more power!!! :D Actually it's time to get serious about makeing more $$$ :rolleyes:

Later

Kennedy
09-20-2003, 05:02
Resetting makes all the pressures max and with the added friction and oil flow, it can be harsh.

Aaron,

Still trying to get a handle on the combo here. I need to get out and hook the Tech 2 up and see what goes on in it's brain and such...

sdaver
09-20-2003, 15:56
welcome to the no slipin fifth club mackin called in the middle in the middle of this post and I can now congradulate him also.......you guys are going to love it.......juice in fifth is going to be a all new experence :D dave

mackin
09-20-2003, 18:15
Originally posted by sdaver:
welcome to the no slipin fifth club mackin called in the middle in the middle of this post and I can now congradulate him also.......you guys are going to love it.......juice in fifth is going to be a all new experence :D dave Thanks man ....

Most of my thanks goes to Geerhead for all is hard work ...
Of course Suncoast ... Plus Unlimited Motorsports in South Windsor CT ,our dyno site ... Things went very well ...

Needed no mouth piece this tranny shifted out of the box excellant ...Well chirping third gear was fun ... I do have a couple bugs ,but time will tell if they are real problems ... I need a new NSBU ,it rolled in the back of the P/U and cracked during our transport to lift .... I'll start with that ... More to come I need a nap ...

Mac