PDA

View Full Version : Spinning my wheels

Chevy2DMAX
09-11-2002, 19:02
Took my truck into the dealer for some work today. When I picked it up it had this black kinda stretchy rubbery but not real sticky stuff along the edges of the rear duals and in the tread. Also had a few good sized globs of the stuff on the mud flaps. The front tires were clean as a whistle (whatever that means), so I don't think the stuff is something they drove through. Forgive my naiveness, but for you guys that smoke your tires regularly, was the dealership beating the crap out of my truck?

stretch
09-12-2002, 03:51
yes or it ran over something in the shop, odd that its not on the front tires. If it looks like crap, smells like crap, it must be crap.... :(

Colorado Kid
09-12-2002, 08:32
If they have been spinning you ought to be able to see some "sratch" marks on the surface of the tread. They'll be absolutely parrallel to each other and go all the way around the tire. My father taught me this as part of a rather long conversation about the condition of the rear tires and transmission (which had broken a sprag) of his pickup, as they related to the balance in my bank account, when I was 16.

c5dura
09-12-2002, 09:09
I can't spin the tires on my 3500 unless I 'help' it by making a sharp turn to bring the rear around while flooring it.

If you are running a stock duramax 3500, can you spin them from a standstill in tow/haul by mashing the go pedal? (Let's say its 80's outside as I'm sure I will have no problems when it gets cold.)

Btw, now that I'm running the BFG 235/85 ATs, it will 'almost' spin off the line. With the stock 215/85 Wranglers, they weren't even thinking about it. Kinda strange since the BFGs are bigger (but perhaps the more aggressive tread means less rubber contacting the pavement).

Once I add my PowerLoader and 4" exhaust, I don't expect to have this 'problem' any longer.

Back to the original post, I can't believe someone at the dealer would abuse your truck like that. Did you happen to record the milage/hours before taking it in?

Colorado Kid
09-12-2002, 14:41
C5dura,

If you want to see them spin just hold both pedals down until the tach points at 2000 and then let up on the one on the left. You'll have 2 black stripes (or 4 if you have a locker) just as pretty as can be. :D

With the 6 speed chirping is easier to do than to avoid, but nothing matches the automatic for a realy good smokey burnout.

c5dura
09-12-2002, 20:29
Colorado Kid, I'll have to give that a try! I did some 0-60 times tonight, but I only power braked to about 1500 rpm before launching. Cut a 8.40 0-60 run though!

c5dura
09-12-2002, 21:02
Well, I had to go out and give it a try. :D

Did three 2000 rpm launches and got a little spinning, but only for about 5-10 feet. I guess perhaps the G80 locker on a dually just has so much traction that you can't spin 'em?

I guess I shouldn't really knock it. I sure whish I had that kind of traction in my vette. If I get on it in first at 30 mph, I just light up the rears, and I'm running 325's! Guess that's what 418 rwhp on a 3000lbs car does for you...

Colorado Kid
09-13-2002, 13:25
Well I noticed that with the 10,200# trailer behind (I only tried it twice) for the diesel day hill climb that I didn't have much luck getting wheel spin out of my truck. The first time I side stepped the clutch at about 1800 RPM in 2nd and it bogged. The second time I tried it at 2500 RPM and just about got to buy a new clutch to go home, but still no wheel spin with that locker. I wouldn't ordinarily try to launch that much weight uphill in 2nd, but starting in granny gear wasn't going to get me up the hill faster! Kennedy on the other hand was able to spin wheels on both axels with the heavier gooseneck (which puts a lot more weight over the rear tires), so there is an anwer to make wheelspin...More Power (athough it won't help me without a tougher clutch!). Without the load wheelspin is availble on command..just rev it up and dump the clutch. (Not that I actually behave that way ;) )

Colorado Kid
09-13-2002, 13:35
c5dura,

I just noticed that you've fitted oversized shoes...just a few more RPM (with the corresponding increase in boost) should get you into the smoke generator catagory. Those are pretty spendy treads to be sending up in smoke though!

ChaoticRacer
09-23-2002, 17:47
I'd say they were doing some burnouts. Man, service ppl at dealerships don't give a sh!t about your car/truck. Guys will get out and race SS's Trans Am's. Took out a buddies Typhoon and raced it. They got fired cause they got caught and the dealership had to pay to replace every little part in the drivetrain :eek: . It was that or get sued. I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that to a car. I would be keepin tabs on the milage when I send it in, and make sure it is sitting past E when you take it in.

ChaoticRacer
09-23-2002, 17:51
And since I usually get used tires for the rear of my truck at 40 a set mounted and balanced...I do weekly burnouts. The tires last me around a 8 months if they are pretty new. Had a set of 30x9.50 wild country RVTs on and they lasted around 9 months, through endless burnouts and gravel roads. I put close to 12k on those tires and I'd say they were prolly half worn when I purchased them. But yes, to answer your question, that stuff you found was burnt rubber back there.

[ 09-23-2002: Message edited by: ChaoticRacer ]</p>