PDA

View Full Version : Question On Steering

Roy W
11-20-2005, 11:37
My '05 truck has 8000 miles on it and I am noticing a "thunk" in the steering linkage. I have read about the problems with the intermediate steering shaft making a noise, but this is more something I can "feel." In actuality it feels like a loose tie rod end does. It only occurs when driving on uneven pavement, seems to be worse going around corners, and is at it's worse on a rough dirt road. If I move the steering wheel back and forth I can't feel it. I can only feel it when it originates at the wheels, and it doesn't make any noise. My question is: Is this what the bad intermediate shaft is like, or do I have another problem?

Bill Knieper
11-21-2005, 08:00
With my intermediate shaft problem I could feel it, but only when turning. I never felt it when going straight forward even on gravel road. The dealer will be happy to replace the shaft and see if that clears it up.

DA BIG ONE
11-21-2005, 23:47
There is a problem GM does not like to talk about w/steering linkage 2000 forward, the inner tie rod has an issue w/limited travel "less than control arm movement" because of design issue. I'm not saying this is your problem but consider it could be. When off road, or hitting a big enough bad bump could cause the suspension to travel past the inner tie rods travel limit damaging the inner tie rods ball socket by expanding it resulting in slop @ inner tie rod clunk.

More than a few aftermarket companies offer a fix over stock setup.

http://bulletproofsteering.com/gmifstierod.html

dodgerfan
11-22-2005, 09:15
Roy,
What you're feeling is exactly like my experience - for a few thousand miles I was feeling the knock, not hearing it, under the same road/turning conditions. Then after a while it got bad enough to hear as well. Got a new intermediate shaft last week, it's like a new truck!