PDA

View Full Version : Some Info That Might Interest Y'all

BigAl
02-13-2003, 10:34
GM combines Allison Transmission, Powertrain

Associated Press

February 13, 2003

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. said Wednesday that it has combined its Allison Transmission and GM Powertrain divisions, effective immediately.

The move is an internal reporting structure change that should not have any impact on employees in their day-to-day jobs, GM Chairman John F. Smith Jr. said in a statement.

There also will be no impact on Allison customers, distributors, dealers or suppliers, and the Allison name and brand will continue, the statement said.

Lawrence E. Dewey will continue as president of Allison. He will report to Thomas G. Stephens, group vice president of GM Powertrain.

"Allison Transmission has a long and proud history going back to 1915 when James A. Allison founded the Indianapolis Speedway Team Company -- the forerunner of today's Allison Transmission," Smith said. "Over the years, Allison has grown to become the world leader in the design, manufacture and sales of automatic transmissions for trucks, buses, off-road and military vehicles.

"Aligning Allison with GM Powertrain ... will enhance GM's performance and competitiveness."

sonofagun
02-13-2003, 17:15
BigAl,

Any impact at your end?

Does this help GM and Allison or hurt Allison?

Your thoughts please.

Bob

JimWilson
02-13-2003, 20:03
My guess is that it hurts Allison. Just ask Chrysler about being "absorbed"... :D

hoot
02-13-2003, 21:13
---------------------------------------------------
My guess is that it hurts Allison. Just ask Chrysler about being "absorbed"...
----------------------------------------------------

Big difference here.

Allison has been GM since 1920. It's only corporate structural changes.

Sure there may be some effects but nothing like D/C.

BigAl
02-14-2003, 08:18
son of a gun,

On who's end??? tongue.gif

Like hoot says, Allison has been part of GM for a long time. This appears to be a reorganization within GM, not an "absorption" like happened to Chrylser when they got "taken over" by Daimler. Like any change, some will be for the good and others won't.

In the immortal words of an old friend, "There ain't no absolutes........and that's one of 'em!"

JimWilson
02-14-2003, 14:41
Yup, I knew Allison was GM. I guess my point was obscured a bit too much, basically, I'd hate to be Allison, which enjoys a pretty good reputation. Just ask Aston Martin about there exclusivity now... :D