PDA

View Full Version : Windshield

Bullseye54
09-17-2003, 07:48
Over the last couple of months I've developed major streaks on my windshield (outside).They are so bad I can hardly see.They are only visible when there is high humidity & dew in mornings or when raining slightly.As far as I know nothing has been put on the window.I've tried just about every cleaner I can find,I've used glass polish,vinegar,amonia,& even coke(my dad's solution).The only way to get it to go away is to turn the defrost on hi & hi heat until it goes away.Anyone have any suggestions?While I'm at it anyone know of a really GOOD wiper blade?

HD-Nate
09-17-2003, 09:03
Are you sure its not on the inside???

If you are sure it the outside, find some 00000 steel wool. Use your favorite cleaner, Windex, 409, whatever. Flood the windshield with your cleaner, use the steel wool like if you were putting on wax in small circular motions. Keep the glass lubricated at all times with your cleaner.

Do one half at a time. When done, wipe any excess off using a cloth towel. Final step is to clean once more just to pick up any residue you might have left with just the cleaner and a clean cloth towel.

This works great and WILL NOT scratch you glass. I do this a few times a year to get the road grime off the glass.

After you have cleaned, NOW is the time to put on new wipers and Rain-X type products if you like. They make some wipers with a Teflon edge (cant remember the brand) that I like and have on all my trucks/cars.

Stay away from the old newspaper trick, all it does is just smear printers ink on your glass to cover the streaks. Cloth always does a better job than paper towels.

JimWilson
09-17-2003, 16:08
What type of glass polish did you use? Zaino makes something that (supposedly) can take off hazing, and I'm wondering if that's what you have.

ochster
09-17-2003, 16:43
I also have the same streaks, and show up in the same situations. I just did the steel wool and simple green trick. I was thinking it was some kind of residue from the protective film I have seen used during delivery. But when using the fine steel wool, the windshield felt relatively polished.

It has been my experience the Bosch blades seem to be a cut above the rest, and do have a graphite type coating.

Bullseye54
09-18-2003, 09:27
I'll try the steel wool & see what happens.I think I might have found the problem.Seem my wife went to her dad's house in the truck & before she left he cleaned the windshield for her.She said he put something from a bottle on it when he was done.I called him & he said he put some Silo windshield protectant on it.He said it works better than Rain-x!Oh my achin'back.I've tried to clean Rain-x off before,but it had to wear off.

The polish I used was A-Maz & Glass Renu.

Thanks for tip on Bosch wiper blades.I've seen them I just can't remember where.

mike.morris
09-22-2003, 05:54
I have used Bar Keepers Friend cleaner on my windshield. This is a non-abrasive cleaner and it does a pretty good job. I got turned onto using this from the TV show Shadetree Mechanic or one of those TNN shows.