PDA

View Full Version : Better skid plates

TSimpler
09-16-2003, 17:25
Ok here's the deal,

Last week I took the Yukon into the mountains to hunt elk; on the way in I ripped my heavy-duty nerf bar, bent my bull bar, and added a few VERY deep gouges in the skid plates. :eek: These roads are not for the faint of heart. (But there's elk in them there mountains)

I am VERY VERY worried about taking my DMAX with the factory skid plates into those places. The tranny filter sits low, and the skid plates look very wimpy.

I need some armor to protect the undercarriage. I am thinking about getting .25 inch corrugated steel and making my own. Any ideas would be helpful.

Trent

Lone Eagle
09-16-2003, 19:49
None of the things you mentioned are the problem with our trucks. If you slide under there with a tape you will find the G80 is almost dragging the ground. Everything else is plenty high. Try slowing down in the rough stuff. Later! Frank

BlueOx03
09-16-2003, 21:37
I won't take my truck into anything too rough anymore. Ya know that cross-member that hangs down right under where you sit? There's not much left of mine these days. The wheel base is just too long for climbing over stuff. I drive very slow and careful in the rough and I've clipped it twice. Food for thought.

TJ

Big_Blue
09-16-2003, 21:49
Originally posted by TSimpler:
bent my bull bar,
Trent You bent an ARB bull bar???? :eek:

1) What the H$LL were you doing?

2) Take it back for a full refund.

DieselDixon
09-16-2003, 22:02
I ripped my heavy-duty nerf bar, bent my bull bar, and added a few VERY deep gouges in the skid plates. Hope the trip was worth it!

KenZ
09-17-2003, 06:36
Took my truck up a snowy road in Colorado last year Elk hunting and was worried about the clearance. A local with me said not to worry the road wasn't that bad. About the time I said the truck had a long wheel base and low clearance--bam!! hit something under the snow. We weren't going fast. Got out and looked and didn't see anything leaking anywhere. We were worried we wouldn't get off the mountain after that. The road didn't look that bad and my friend had been on it plenty of times with no problems.

Anyway, when I finally got under the truck, the skid plate bolts were bent and almost torn off. Nice gouges in the skid plate. I guess you could say it did its job. But had me worried for a while. Cross member was dented too. I think an extra inch and we probably wouldn't have scraped. Didn't have any more problems after that.

JoeyD
09-17-2003, 11:20
Get the September issue of Street Trucks and check out page 112. I bet it would work even if it needed a little modifing. They raise the crossmember so it sits even with the frame rails.
Another thing to do is go to a local 4 wheel drive shop and see if they can make something up for you.

AbqGeorge
09-17-2003, 18:35
Darn it Trent, what's the rest of the story? Did ja get an Elk?

If you did, the dents were worth it. Folks that haven't chased the Wapiti just don't understand.

Let's do lunch one day?

TSimpler
09-17-2003, 20:40
You bent an ARB bull bar????

1) What the H$LL were you doing?

2) Take it back for a full refund Bent it good, Big F'n rock

Hard to see the rocks under 20+ inchs of mud and muck, I was crawling along in 4low for about 20 miles just to get into the hunting area, 2+miles are part of a normally dry creek bed.

But we did get a Elk, One arrow through the heart and down he went. Bent the bull bar retreaving the elk. Very long story

Lone Eagle, Trust me, Its a problem. My Yukon is a short wheelbase 2 door and I drug the frame more than I care to remember

George, call me and we will do lunch