PDA

View Full Version : Front Diff..boy is my face red...

Heartbeat Hauler
02-11-2003, 14:31
Well I buried my dualy to the axles in mud last week, and needless to say, it was a chore getting it out. What I did find out is: even though I ordered locking differential(G80), only the passenger side front wheel gets power. Bummer...it was the only wheel on solid ground. What gives? I thought all of the wheels would get power as the clutches would catch. Is this the way it is or did I miss a check off box when ordering my truck?
JP

a64pilot
02-11-2003, 15:01
Sorry man, but the locking diff is for the rear only. I believe that a there are aftermarket lockers etc., but unless you are real serious they are probably not worth it.

MadDuraMax
02-11-2003, 16:34
Yep the G80 is only in the rear. Another thing to know is that the G80 will "unlock" once it "senses" wheel speeds over 20mph.

Mark

mtomac
02-11-2003, 17:08
I think the Eaton E-locker is available for the front axles 9.25" on our trucks. I'm waiting for the one to be released for the rear axle, right now they only have the 10.5" available.

Flyboy
02-11-2003, 22:22
A64Pilot:: Welcome back!!!!

Heartbeat Hauler
02-12-2003, 12:38
Thanks guys. I figured that was the deal. It would have been nice to have that other wheel turning, but I don't get into THAT kind of trouble very often so it probably isn't worth getting a locker for the front.
Thanks again,
JP

[ 02-12-2003: Message edited by: Heartbeat Hauler ]</p>

a64pilot
02-13-2003, 07:56
Flyboy,
thanks

HESS101
02-13-2003, 11:49
I hope this will be on subject, G80 rear end. Notice: I have about 4k on my 03 and wanted to get the factory fill of rear end fluid out, even thought the dealer does not recommend change anymore at 1000k, because of synthetic. When I drained my oil and measured it I only had 3 quarts of grape juice. Looks like the factory shorted me 1.4 qts. That translates to about $40 worth of oil or more. Just wanted to let all the 03 owners know and recommend checking. Thought I could trust that the factory or the dealer would assure levels were where they needed to be before delivery. Refilled with 75w140 GM part# 12346140 for HD towing instead of grape juice. I did see lots of metal shavings and clumps of sand which I expected from reading previous thread. The good news is I only parted with three quarts of synthetic, that was probably still good.

IndigoDually
02-13-2003, 12:34
HESS, if You have not towed yet then the oil was rather clean except fot the other junk. Once You tow some weight then the oil will darken due to the friction material breaking in. I changed mine after 500 miof towing then again at 10,000 and it was pretty black again.

John

HESS101
02-13-2003, 17:18
John,
Your right. Mine was dark even not towing as much as you. When I looked at it I saw clear oil with black suspended in it. Another words, it did not appear to be homogenious or mixed together. The oil looked pretty good actually, but I feel better getting any solid parts out that might cycle through there and knowing I'm up to level. Easy job. Do you recommend changing transfer case fluid?
Thanks for your input
Steve

IndigoDually
02-13-2003, 17:51
I planned on changing the transfer case to synthetic last fall but I just did not get around to it. Definitely going to get done this Spring unless there is a warm snap (not likely).

John