PDA

View Full Version : Front end/ CV Joint problems

Pfouts1001
11-13-2005, 16:17
Has anyone been having problems with CV joints and front axle. Today I helped a friend pull a stuck truck out of his yard. While pulling him out in 4 lo heard a loud pop from the front end and lost 4wd. It appears the passenger side inner CV joint let loose, although it is still contained in the boot. The thing that sucks is that though I am still in warranty on mileage (34,000) I am out of warranty by two months. Just wondered if anyone else has had similar problems and if anyone had any advice. The other thing that really sucks is that I am out of town and not near my dealer. Please give me some help!!

More Power
11-23-2005, 11:26
I'd first determine what failed. Might be a CV shaft assy, but I doubt it. These CV shafts can repeatedly survive a 4WD launch with 726 horsepower on dry pavement.

I had a problem once in our Project truck (1989 Chevy), where the front actuator (CAV) didn't engage correctly, and resulted in a broken part.

Jim

madmatt
11-23-2005, 15:12
If my posts not too late I'd suggest finding the nearest dealer, explain what happened and your warranty situation all while being as nice as can be and hope for the best! I have busted the CV joint cup on the passenger side as well. It only cost me a couple of hundred buck for the whole new outer axle and it's pretty easy to install.

DA BIG ONE
11-24-2005, 13:46
NAPA has the complete assembly for around $105.00. I have found this out when getting the same assembly for my 99 burb, as it turns out my burb uses the assembly for 2000 forward even though it is a 99.