PDA

View Full Version : ECM/TCM UPDATES ?

DMAXED
02-10-2003, 20:48
I was looking into getting my ecm/tcm updated the truck has not been updated 04/01. I have got a code for turbo overboost when towing up hills , and I was thinking about the 5th gear lockout I think the update is needed for the install. the truck runs great now other then the boost code . is it worth getting the update will it hert or help profromance milage.

THANKS TOM

Kennedy
02-10-2003, 23:15
If you can set the filter minder (temporary filter restriction) put a few moisture spots on a clean paper filter, and show the dealer TSB #01-06-04-050 you should be able to get the new air box asnd upgrades for free. Also mention shift buzyness for the TCM program.

I haven't gotten my laptop (running XP pro) to run the TIS program, but if I pass the cable from a PC (running Win2k pro) out through the window screen I have done the updates this way...

Gonna look into 2000 Professional in lieu of XP Pro as I hear XP can be pretty picky...

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
02-10-2003, 23:29
JK

Windows XP has a compatibility modifier built in, and works most of the time. It just "lies" to the program and fools into thinking it is running under another OS, Win2K included.

If you haven't tried this, or need to know how to access it, let me know. I can email the instructions on how to do it.

DMAXED
02-12-2003, 16:55
Has anyone had a problem after a ecm/tcm reflash ?

mdrag
02-12-2003, 17:23
DMAXED,

Early in the 2001 MY, there were scattered posts of decreased performance after having the ECM reprogrammed. However, with the lastest upgrades most have reported improved performance after the upgrades were installed. I felt that my truck performed better after having the upgrades. Don't forget the ECM and TCM upgrades are performed as separate procedures - a reprogram of the ECM will not install the updated software for the TCM and vice versa. Good luck.

Kennedy
02-12-2003, 17:51
DmaxMav,

The program is loaded, runs, and SEEMS to talk to the Tech 2, but I get a communications error. I don't believe I have your email addy.

My PC's with 2k run it fine...

[ 02-13-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

DMAXED
02-13-2003, 07:59
Kennedy

What softwear program and cable are you using ?(how much does it cost) can you hook the laptop right to the port under the dash and get data when the truck is running ? can you reflash the ecm/tcm? can you save the old softwear on the pcm/tcm?

Kennedy
02-13-2003, 08:47
DMAXED,

I have a Tech 2 ($2500+) AND the Flash kit ($800? option)

DMAXED
02-13-2003, 09:27
Kennedy

That's a little out of my price range lol
my truck is going into the dealer tomorrow for the update's I hope update's don't have any down falls

DMAXED
02-14-2003, 07:22
The dealer refused to do the update's dew to the code was not there anymore they would do the updete's at cost to me. sweet deal :mad:

Kennedy
02-14-2003, 09:38
Plug in the block heater for a few hours. That will get you there!

Is your air box snorkeled to the fender yet? A personal pizza cardboard in the air box on the dirty side of a CLEAN filter should get the filter minder to suck in and likely set a code as well. This should get you the new box as well as the ECM flash. TCM flash will need a complaint of buzy shifting or the 2-1 shift banging when starting out on a grade...

Black Dog
02-14-2003, 11:17
If you use "excessive 4/5 shifting while towing with cruise control engaged" as your complaint, they should do the ECM update for you.