PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount my airlift compressor?

NWDmax
09-15-2003, 22:51
Looking under the hood I'm having a hard time deciding where the best place is to mount the compressor.
Anybody else installed the compressor under the hood or back on the frame somewhere in a protected box of some sort?
I'm kinda stumped at this point but I would like to keep it out of the weather if at all possible.

Blake :confused:

NWDmax
09-16-2003, 07:33
Come on guys help a brother out here!
I know with all you heavy haulers out there somebody else has had this same dilemma. :eek:

Ram
09-16-2003, 12:32
Mounted mine on the outside of the frame in front of the rear tires. Its on that part that curves up. I didn't do anything to protect it. Figure it should be built to take it. Its been there for months now, no problems. It hasn't been through a winter yet.

NWDmax
09-16-2003, 13:41
Ram:I've got the Firestone compressor and its fairly heavy.
Did you bolt through the frame or build a bracket?
Any details you can give will be greatly appreciated!
Blake
:cool:

VFRRider
09-16-2003, 14:21
NWDmax I had the same concerns. I viewed the side of rail too exposed and did not want to drill into the floorpan. My approach was to mount the compressor on top of the framerail. It requires the mounting brackets to be bent 90deg and new bolt holes drilled in them. Very easy to do. The compressor is now very protected and high up. I have never been able to get images to work on this board, but here goes..
http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/impact/1137/DMax/rail1.jpg
http://www.fortunecity.com/underworld/impact/1137/Dmax/rail2.jpg
If you cannot see them, let me know Ill redirect you to another location where I can post them.

Mike

NWDmax
09-16-2003, 17:22
VFRRIDER:Hey I like your idea!
You're right I can't see the pics.
Just e mail to mountainmax62@msn.com if you don't mind.
Thanks for the help.
Blake :D

hd90rider
09-19-2003, 21:29
NWD, I have had my Firestone mounted on the top of the cross member that holds the tranny. Did nothing to protect it & it has been in operation over 2 years.Good Luck smile.gif

NWDmax
09-19-2003, 21:33
hd you da man!
Looking at it again tonight.
Do you have the heavy one with the seperate air tank and if so where did you mount it?
Blake :cool:

[ 09-19-2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: NWDmax ]

sonofagun
10-03-2003, 06:48
Blake,

I had the hd compressor mounted on the framerail and it conked out of me. They warrantied it but suggested a more protected mounting system. I went to Home Depot and purchased a grey plastic box in the electrical department. It is very HD and has a rubber seal on the lid. I mounted the compressor to the box and the box to the frame rail. I ran the air intake out the back side of the box (used a rubber grommet) and ran it up inside the fender well by the fuel filler. It has worked that way for 25,000 miles, checked it just before I sold that truck and it was still like new. Gona do it again on my new ride.

Bob

Inspector
10-03-2003, 09:50
Has anyone mounted a tank with there compressor for inflating tires and other such needs?
I have a compressor and am thinking of mounting some kind of tank. What are you folks using for a tank and what kind of tank are you using and where are you mounting it?
Denny :rolleyes:

NEAB
10-06-2003, 11:27
Inspector,

Have recently looked into adding an air compressor to operate tools, inflate tires, eventual 4link suspension air, etc. Figure I need at least 5.7cfm @ 90 psi to operate an impact wrench. This equates to about a 5hp motor driven unit. The approach I am pursuing is to have a Power Takeoff (PTO) unit added to the transmission and use it to drive a suitable air compressor. Shops that do dump truck conversions etc. can do this and I am trying to determine complexity and price at the present time.

If you ar interested I will keep you posted.

Inspector
10-07-2003, 10:51
Neab:
I'm interested.
Thanks
Denny