PDA

View Full Version : Vibs at cruising speed

Fry
02-27-2004, 06:44
Recentally I have noticed a vibration when I reach approx 55mph. This vibration then goes away at about 60mph. Plus I have noticed that when I am in 4 wheel drive and the front end starts to pull up a hill or have any load on it, I hear a grinding noise. I have recentally replaced the front end actuator (before the problem started) and I thought that the grinding could be caused by having the wrong actuator that is not engauging all the way. But I am almost certain that I have the right part. However, could the vibs be associated with the grinding. The two problems may not be related but they started occuring about the same time. Also, I recentally put 80W-90 in the transfer case. I ran with this for a while but have since changed the fluid and now have trans fluid in the transfer case. I did not notice any problems with it with the wrong oil.

Lone Eagle
02-28-2004, 14:49
Fry, usually when a vibration comes in and goes away as you speed up it is tire balance. Later! Frank

Fry
02-29-2004, 14:29
Any guess as to what the grinding noise is.

Lone Eagle
03-02-2004, 20:41
I would start by dumping the front end oil and replace with something like Mobil 1. If the problem is in there you will see some metal chunks in the oil. A little bit fine aluminum
flakes is normal. Later! Frank