PDA

View Full Version : Another Tailgate Question

FirstDiesel
09-14-2003, 06:29
My Dad has a 90 2500HD. The tailgate won't latch. The latches on both sides are stuck partially in. I can pry them further in but can't get them to come out. Tried spraying lube into them with no help. The handle pulls freely and almost like there is no tension on it. Any ideas how to go about tackling this problem?? If we undo one of the latches we don't seem to be able to pull it out of the tailgate at all.

ACCRASH
09-15-2003, 11:07
Larry your in luck! My father was having the same problem with his '01. I took it apart to see what was going on just yesterday. The problem is with mechanism behind the handle. It gets a little bit of corrosion in the hinge and hangs up so the tailgate won't latch shut. You have to pop the plastic trim around the handle off (be extremely careful, the top is held in by 2 tabs that are just dying to snap off). Lift firmly on the bottom of the trim and pull out gently, it should pop out. Then spray penetrating oil on the center hinge directly behind the handle and work it back and forth a few times. This will lossen it right up. Snap the trim back on and that's it. Takes about 15min.

If the tabs break, it's not a big deal. I broke my dads. Picked up a new one today from dealer for $10.65 with tax. Good luck.

Chuck :D

FirstDiesel
09-15-2003, 17:31
Thanks Chuck

Thant makes good sense. Both latches stuck in and the handle seems to feel loose. Must be behind the handle. Will check into it.

ACCRASH
09-16-2003, 05:03
No problem. Let us know how you make out.

Chuck