PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate - secure close

peachin
09-14-2003, 06:17
My tailgate is hard to open - have to pull on the right side of handle. It is also not always secure to close - and may fall when hitting a bump. If I check the close and push hard on it it will be secure. Anyone know the adjustment.

There is another post below on the tailgate - but does not focus on its closure - but on the holders.

Thanks!

ACCRASH
09-15-2003, 11:38
Check out my reply to the other tailgate question. I believe, after having one apart, the source of your problems are the same. These are the exact same problems my fathers truck had.
Another Tailgate Question (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005379;p=&r=nfx)

Chuck

rjwest
09-20-2003, 12:28
I have had an opening problem on one side for a year, I would have to get a vise grips on rod and hammer it to get latch open.
Finnally found problem...

RHINO LINER was a little thick on bottom of tailgate and bed of truck..... with vibration, tailgate settled downward and putting a lot of force on latch....
Cut a little away, FIXED....

Hours to trouble shoot, minutes to fix....

wushaw
09-21-2003, 14:34
The bolts/studs in the bed are adjustable and you can adjust the tension of the tailgate with them.

Is your handle easy to operate once the tailgate is open?
If so then adjust bolts/studs.

peachin
09-21-2003, 19:38
Thanks! I'll try the bolt studs

HD-Nate
09-23-2003, 12:12
2003 :confused: :confused: :confused:

Its a new truck, take it back to the dealer, you paid big $$$ for this truck, make them do the work.

If time is an issue, make an appointment late and tell them you will wait for it. I'm usually out of there in less than an hour if I do it this way. ;)

VFRRider
09-24-2003, 13:29
I just took my truck into the dealer today. I noticed that the tailgate did not seem to latch unless I heaved on it, and then it didn't latch at all yesterday. A closer look showed one of the tailgate strikers (passenger side) was loose, and to top it off it came from the factory missing the thick base washer. Must have been built on a Wednesday. Took it into the dealer, 20 min later new striker installed @ no cost.

Mike