PDA

View Full Version : My instrument panel lights "were" out

cowboywildbill
11-03-2005, 14:36
My instrument lamps go out when my headlights come on. Even the one on the radio. I checked all of the fuses. If I roll the panel dimmer switch all the way up and turn on the interior dome light, the instrument panel lights will come on. I am thinking maybe a bad dimmer switch? Anyone know anything else to try? Thanks.

[ 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]

DmaxMaverick
11-03-2005, 14:48
Just went through that in both, my '01 2500HD and 2000 Impala. The switch in the Impala was easily repaired, but I had to replace the headlamp switch on the GMC. The switch(es) are easily disassembled, if you are handy with electrical stuff. The switches don't have a rheostat, like the older switches. They have a "resistor array" to dim the lights. The array isn't repairable, but the connections might be. Most are simple "spring tension contact" type connections inside the switch. If any of the resistors on the array are bad, every dimming ability past that bank won't work. Problem is, the "hottest" resistors are the first on the array.

Testing them is easy enough if you have another switch (vehicle) around. All the 99-2002 trucks have a compatible switch. The later models may be as well, but I haven't had a chance to check. They are easy to R/R.

The switch is a $35 item at www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) , double that at the dealer.

cowboywildbill
11-04-2005, 16:05
Thanks for the reply. I just purchased a switch today and I'm on my way out to the garage to install it. I will let you know if it does the trick. :eek:

cowboywildbill
11-04-2005, 16:59
Yep! It was the the dimmer switch. Except when I bought it this morning I paid $69.00 for the switch, and that was supposed to be with a dealer discount? Next time I'll try Gm Parts Direct. Thanks again for your help. smile.gif