PDA

View Full Version : Suncoast Transplant Results Long Post

heartbeatcanada
09-11-2003, 16:22
Well went down and seen Joe at Suncoast this past Monday, to get a stage 4 installed. Previous to me going down my tranny would slip in 5th at will, as well as very poor shifting in all other gears + limped it in 3rd 2 days before my trip. I have ran the hot juice for a year now and stacked it with the predator since it came out(custom tunes). Two weeks previous to me leaving i have been using the 215 quad by itself, and the edge comp.by itself + alot of stacking. I knew i was getting a new tranny so wanted to see how much it would handle. Not too much at this point.

Trip down was eventful, got lost in the bad part of Detroit Saturday night about 12am :eek: , got straightened around an hour later, but the rest of the 20 hour drive went well. Almost got to Fort Walton when i seen a dually duramax behind me, looking to run me over(thought it was mackin, but it wasn't black) smile.gif . I pulled off as i wasn't sure of where i was going and he certainly did. He passed and low and behold i see a suncoast sticker in the back window(Joe). Got my second wind and had hammer down and followed him most of the remaining way. Got a hotel and some food and toured the beach before night and let some soot fly. :D

Arrived at Suncoast at 8am and met Joe and staff. Very nice people and very accomadating, will be definetely be doing more business with them in the future. He gave me a quick tour and then we went for a test drive. Let them get started on my truck and went touring around the beach and such. I stopped back in at 1pm to make sure things were going well, and Joe informed me i now hold the record for the worst c3's he's seen(i don't know if i should take that as a compliment or not :confused: ). I definetley will be taking that as a compliment. Anyhow, he says to stop in at 4:30pm and see how things are doing.

Stop in at 4:30pm and the truck is ready to come off the hoist. Joe takes her for a spin and comes back and checks fluids. All is well so we go out for our break in test drive. We were probably out for an hour going through the shift sequences several times getting the tranny to fast learn. I knew about half way through our test drive that i had made a good choice.

Went back and settled up with Joe and headed for some grub and sleep. Left Tues. morn 3am as i did not want to drive through Detroit at night again. I'm not a small guy or easily scared, but i don't think i have been through such a hole(sorry if i offend anyone) in my life. Remember this is not downtown, this is somebodies hood i'm lost in. Wanted to meet up with SDAVER (Joe says your a top notch guy), but if i did, then i would have been doing what i didn't want to do(Detroit). Hope to be down that way this winter with the family, will hook up and compare notes.(I'll bring some Canadian beer for ya)

The drive back was awesome, cruising at 65-70mph and just hitting the throttle, no limp, no slip, no zing just 100% pure power to the pavement. Man the truck feels like its gonna take off, and passing cars like there just standing still. Definetely made a difference in my time as i made it home in 16hours, rather than 20 going down. Hooked up with somebody from Michigan and was doing 100mph most of the way, where traffic permitted from Tennesse all the way to the border in Detroit. She definetley likes the fuel when she's up past 2500rpm most of the way.

Made it home and have been busy catching up with work, thus the slow replies. The tranny shifts better than stock imho, and call me crazy, but it seems to hold 5th better now. It had a quirky shift yesterday, but after 10 wot shifts it is gone. Shifts are firm and crisp, get a bark out of 2nd 99% of the time and a little chirp out of 3rd the odd time. Have taken a powerstroke guy out, and he asked me how i like the propane and nos. I looked at him and smiled and said this is just one box, with the tranny done, if you could have seen his expression, it was priceless.

Great experience and dealings with Joe and the Suncoast clan(thanks again Joe, i know you will be reading this) and would recommend them to anybody and wouldn't hesitate to make the drive again, even though alot of peple think i'm screwed for driving all that way, just for a tranny. They don't have the slightest clue how much that tranny compliments an allready awesome truck, and delivers the power.

To anybody out there that doesn't think running high hp tunes or stacking mods hurts your tranny, then your in for a rude awakening, unless your like me and new you had to get one, then toast away. :D

I will be going to the pulls this weekend and hopefully will do well as this will be my first pull with the new tranny, quad215, edge comp, and the e-locker. I got first at this track the last time i pulled there. I have been pretty close to some hot dodges at other pulls(10-20ft) and have just got wind that they are running nos,. Not too shabby for the dmax to be so close with so little done to it, now is a different story though.

I will post my results and will be heading to the dyno within a week, and hopefully head to the track within the month, and will report back with results and how the tranny is.I still can't wipe this grin off my face, when i drive this truck now, man what a world of difference. If only everybody new how much power you aren't getting to the ground you'd all be changing your underwear, after the test drive, trust me i'm still kickin myself for waiting so long. Told ya it would be a long one. Later Jeremy :D :D

heartbeatcanada
09-11-2003, 18:00
Mackin

No didn't keep them, was gonna get some digital photos, but forgot in all the excitement, oh well. You will be mighty impressed if your tranny is trashed like mine was. I have a feeling it probably is close, as our driving records speak for themselves.

I would think your getting slippage. I had a window between 120kms-140kms that it would slip for 20 kms, didn't matter if i eased on it or hammered it should would slip every time. If i didn't back out it would zing or limp. I don't think the last 2 weeks helped at all. But thats all in the past now, its only upward and onward for mods now, definetely no regrets except not doing it sooner. Better shine up your teeth as thats all anybody is gonna be seeing after you take her for a burn. Good luck and hope the transplant goes well. Later Jeremy :D

sdaver
09-12-2003, 04:08
glad your back.......good folks at suncoast..... :D dave

wangotango
09-16-2003, 17:56
h-b-canada:

Pretty good post,thanks.

You said that you were "slipping" and "limping" on your ride to Suncoast.

You had this trouble running empty?
How many miles on your truck?

w/t

heartbeatcanada
09-17-2003, 04:25
Wango Tango

Yes if i was in 5th on the highway and accelerated with or without a downshift(mashing the trottle) she would slip from 120-140kms and if i didn't let off the go pedal should would ussually zing. Put in neutral and coast and then back in drive. The occasional time it would throw itself into limp mode. I did limp my tranny in 3rd once, a couple days before Suncoast. Joe said that would have continued and it would end up being like 5th zinging or limping. Ya i abused the tranny quite a bit the last 3 weeks with the 2 high horsepower tunes.

Suncoast is holding fine and has cadillac shift qualities. Pour the power to her and she can handle it, and shifts are nice and crisp. My rear tires are taking a beating. :eek: Oh well they make new tires everyday. I have 68,000kms on the truck. Later Jeremy