PDA

View Full Version : Bump in 4WD (High)

Little_Wiley
09-04-2002, 20:25
Has anyone else heard their front in go BUMP (Like you hit something) while in 4 HI? Have heard this about 3 or 4 times but nothing to hit in view after I got out and looked. Only happen when in 4WD. Wondering if it might be something with how the RCD Lift was installed.

csimo
09-04-2002, 20:50
I experience a small bump when I engage 4 HI.

I hope your bump is not because you are using 4 hi on dry pavement or hard ground. If so your transfer case is probably in bad shape.

Diverguy
09-05-2002, 11:49
The faster you go the louder it gets. It's usually best to engage the transfer case from a dead stop. If you want to really here a loud clang try engaging 4-Lo when you haven't used for awhile...

Little_Wiley
09-05-2002, 20:30
Never had the bump while engaging 4WD. Only after I'm already engaged and start getting into the soup where things start to spin a bit. I'm wondering if it might not be the limited Slip in the front diff engaging.

If it is the limited slip, then it's a little hard as far as I'm concerned.

TxDoc
09-05-2002, 21:04
Little-Wiley--I think your OEM front diff in an open differential. The rear can be a limited-slip or locking. Correct me if I am wrong. You can get a locker for IFS, but the choices are limited.

Not an HD, but my recently-sold 97 had InstaTrac, like the HD system, and when going into 4-lo, in Neutral and sitting still---it sounded like a sledge hammer hitting an anvil.

Diverguy
09-06-2002, 11:33
Little-Willey;
Sorry I skipped over part of your post. I never heard the bump after the transfer case has been engaged. When you had your lift kit installed was it tall enough to require extensions on the drive shafts?