PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the Diesel World

John3
11-01-2005, 15:12
Howdy,
Just traded my trusty 03 HD 8.1 gasser for an 04 LLY. Really loved the big block, but the fuel thing was killing me. Wanted the LBZ big time, but the wallet said no. This truck has only 20 K on the clock, and is super clean and loaded. Just hoping it will give us some decent mileage towing our 10,000 lb. fiver. Am sure I will be on this site asking a TON of dumb questions, this being my first diesel.
Thanks,
John

Black95TD
11-03-2005, 02:49
John, I think you will really like the diesel. I struggled with the cost of the diesel vs gas mileage of a gasser and decided to go diesel again. My fuel mileage is better than I expected - 15 - 19 non-towing. Can get 20 on a trip taking it easy. One suggestion from the git go; make sure you buy fuel from a reputable supplier. After several loads of bad fuel (looked like someone disposed of used motor oil in with the fuel), I have resorted to buying fuel only from two local suppliers that I know and have had no problems since. They both advertise it as "Premium" diesel and the cost is slightly higher. Its supposed to have a high quality additive package with all the supplemental lubricants etc.

Good luck with the new truck!