PDA

View Full Version : Annoying tranny characteristic

CaptainSir
09-11-2003, 10:39
Is this a common characteristic or not? Every time I back up and then put the tranny in "PARK", the truck rolls backward another 2"-4" inches. Normally this isn't a big issue but it's a pain in the a** when trying to hook up my gooseneck trailer by myself. I've even had it roll backwards when the truck has been facing downhill on a minor grade.

ryeguy
09-11-2003, 10:47
I get the same issue. The truck is just coming to rest on the park pawl. I can't say that I've had it roll backwards when the truck was facing down-hill, though.

I could live with that if the parking brake would hold from where I put it on and not let the truck roll a bit from there. I've spoken with the service manager about that and that a fact of life too 'cause the rear caliper doesn't incorporate the parking brake - the parking brake is inside the rotor and is completely separate so has to load up on its own.

--Rob

James S
09-11-2003, 13:47
Hey There,

When I tow, which is rare, I put the parking break on while still in reverse or drive, and at the same time as the truck stops, put it in park. However, I know what you are referring to, when I throw the truck in park and jump out, only to have it role a few inches forward or backward. It has a mind of it's own, and varies the roling, forward or backward, depending on it's mood. It is somewhat disconcerting, I agree. Good luck with this.

James

dmaxalliTech
09-11-2003, 17:42
Due to the 'heavyduty' factor, there will be some slop in park, the park gear in the allison has huge lugs, nearly 1/2" compared to hydromatics. You have to let them seat, then you have play in the t-case, driveshaft splines, rear gear, axles. you get the idea, add all of the play up and it could amount to a couple of inches by the time you get to the ground. You should be able to hold pretty securely with the Park brake.

Mark Heiken
09-11-2003, 18:22
On mine if you apply the park brake firmly and hold the brake pedal down for a couple seconds longer it usually won't move. It will almost always move a little if you release the brake pedal immediately after setting the park brake. Park brake on my '98 worked much better, but I'll take the braking power of this all disk system any day. Just wish I could keep the rocks out of the rears on gravel roads.

WhiteDiesel
09-12-2003, 07:39
When I hitch up, I anticipate the roll. I noticed that the truck will move foward a couple inches if I go from Drive to park. And it will go backwards if I go from Reverse to park. If I miss, I have my cousin move the trailer (6'5" 260#) ;)