PDA

View Full Version : I bought the wrong wheels

Swayse
09-04-2002, 20:03
Went to Lubbock today to take wifes 2002 Ram to the dealer to get the visor fixed under warrenty. Thought I'd stop by Discount Tire and look at some wheels and tires, and bought some. 285 75 16 BFG AT KO on 16 x 8 wheels, threw them on the back of the wifes truck and went home(70 miles). Put one front one on and it sticks out too far and rubs on everything. Sales person said it wouldn't stick out very far, took his word for it.

How are they on exchanges? Or am I stuck with these? I didn't drive on them at all. They should take them back right, and get me some that fit. How do you measure back spacing? What is offset?

Thanks guys,
Pete

FRMLPLR
09-04-2002, 21:08
Pete

You will need to crank up the torsion bars to clear the 33" tires you bought. Good choice in tires. Last set went 115K! You can search on the forum for some geat photos and directions to do this.

As far as the back spacing, should be 4 5/8" +/-. To measure lay straight edge across back of rim(not the tire) and measure to where it seats against the hub. Check most everyone's sig lines and you will find alot with the same setup.

The DPage is your best investment next to your new hotrod! Welcome aboard!

Scott :cool:

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: FRMLPLR ]

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: FRMLPLR ]</p>

Swayse
09-04-2002, 21:26
If I lay a strait edge across the back side of the rim and measure form the hub, I get 4" even. I guess I need more back spacing.

SoCalDMAX
09-05-2002, 08:22
Swayse,

Discount Tire will take them back, no problem. They're very customer oriented. I just found out 3 of my 5 tires are out of round and cannot be balanced properly using Ride-Matching on the Hunter GSP-9700. They ordered 4 new tires and are going to replace them at no charge despite my having used them about 8,000mi.

Since it was their fault you got the wrong rims and you had to drive both ways, ask them to Ride-Match your new rim/tire combo for free, normally a $100 fee.

Regards, Steve

Swayse
09-05-2002, 15:54
Discount tire took the wheels back no problem, and ordered me the right ones. 0mm offset and 4.5" back spacing. I should have hit them up for something, but I was so happy that they took such good care of me, didn't even cross my mind. I guess you can tell that I've been burned before. I'm just happy to get good service, I don't even expect great service anymore.

Thanks.