PDA

View Full Version : Steering rattle's gone!

JustWondering
06-30-2002, 03:26
Aaaaah...can't help but to love this place.
Took my truck to the dealer for the infamous steering rattle. The service tech. guy wanted to do the standard TSB for this problem which is the steering column lube job even after I told him that I knew from very reliable sources (that's you guys in this forum...thanks!) that it would not work. His reply was that he has done many of these lube jobs and he's not had one single return. Two weeks later I was back with the same problem,needless to say his famous lube job didn't work on my truck! The rattle was still there, driving me NUTS.
This time I went back armed with copies of the threads started by BRYANGmc and FormulaPro, I went ready to duke it out with the Service Manager, but to my surprise, after reading the copies of the threads, he agreed to order the bearing assembly kit. Three days later the rattle is history! Thanks everybody! smile.gif

NutNbutGMC
06-30-2002, 06:15
^...JW...Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear that you resolved the steering column rattle squabble. May I request that you post the URL of the above described posts, for easy reference by other forum members that may need the same ammunition for a potentially deaf eared Service Manager? As this forum does not support an active linked UBB, please post the full adddress for a 'copy and paste' function. Thanks much.

mattb5150
07-03-2002, 22:21
Went in today to make an appointment to have my rattle worked on along with both front axle seals(leaking) rear pinion seal(leaking), and 2-1 downshift reprogram. Got the same exact story as Justwondering, both the service manager and head mechanic say they have done many lubes and none returned. Will let them do the lube while they are fixing other stuff so that I get this thing documented before 36K miles. Why isn't there a damn TSB on the bearing thing yet??????????????

Matt B.