PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question?

Roadawg
02-06-2003, 15:55
Will I damage any drivetrain components by towing my 2500HD 4x4 with the front wheels only on the pavement? It will be about a 10 mile run at max. speed of 45 mph.

Colorado Kid
02-06-2003, 16:06
I'd say no problem.

If you put the tranfer case in neutral you can tow that puppy 4 wheels down without hurting a thing...says so in the manual.

IndigoDually
02-06-2003, 17:48
If You are planning on towing a truck with the Allison it would have to be a 4x4. Put the transfer case in neutral and put the trans in PARK, this will keep the trans from spinning. If it spins without the pump turning it will be running dry and will be damaged.

John

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
02-06-2003, 18:00
Roadawg

From your description, I take it you are towing with a dolly, snatch 'n go, or a wrecker, from the rear??

Either way, having the front wheels down, and rear wheels up, no problems. You must be in 2 WD, though.

All the time you are driving around in 4 X 2, the front axle is just free wheeling. Same as when you tow it.

Roadawg
02-06-2003, 21:37
Thank You all for your input. It was towed from the rear by a wrecker. Although, the owner's manual states that dolly towing a four-wheel- drive vehicle will damage drivetrain components. Don't dolly tow a four-wheel-drive vehicle. I couldn't figure out why one can't tow from the rear with the truck in two-wheel-drive. Unless, there is something I am not aware of.

IndigoDually
02-07-2003, 21:35
You are fine with what You did. Never had a problem doing what You described in the 10+ years in the Towing Business.

John