PDA

View Full Version : BFG Tires

DieselDixon
09-08-2003, 12:11
I never see anyone mention BFG tires? Does anyone run them? I was looking at the 285 MT's

Thanks

BassinRVer
09-08-2003, 12:27
I have never had good luck with getting BFG's tires properly balanced.

mtomac
09-08-2003, 13:58
the BFG AT's are a good all around tire for dragracing, truckpulling and daily driving

HDMXDiesel0817
09-08-2003, 14:39
My experience with BFGs is that they last for some time upwards of 80k miles. :D (That was set #2, first set was 75k, and now on third). Though this was the Radial Long Trail T/As on a 96 Tahoe 4dr. Lots of highway miles with going to and from VA every year and the midwest. I have no complaints about them BFG definitely makes some great tires.

Other than that though I've stayed pretty much with the same size that the factory ships...and reading through some of the past threads on tires most are taking them upwards to the 265s or 285s and now the H2s what 305 or 315s?

My questions:

-With the wider tires, now that you have more friction between the ground and tire, how does it affect the performance (figures would be nice)?
-I'm sure that the ride is much smoother seeing how you have more rubber on the road and it distributes weight over a larger area. But do you have to recalibrate anything? Like your speedometer? or just drive around with that error?
-Some of you have removed the sidewalls in the wheel wells, do you really need to do that if you are just going to up the tires from a 245 to say the 265 or 285?

I'm still reading through some of the past threads but if you can help answer me in this thread it could save me some time redface.gif (If you've answered a question like this before could you if not answer in this thread point me in the right direction to find the answer?) I should greatly appreciate it. :D

DinoMax
09-08-2003, 17:57
DieselDixon, I am currnetly running 315/75/16 BFG KO's (same ones that come on an H2 standard issue). The ride is very good with these tires, quiet & smooth, and they seem to be wearing evenly. I have almost 23K miles on my truck. The MT's are are more aggressive tread, so I assume there will be some additional tire/road noise them, and they will probably be harder to keep balanced.

HDMXDiesel0817, the bigger tires will throw off your odo/speedo. I corrected mine with the Predator, and it works real well. Obviously, I have the ability to run a higher horsepower tune w/ the Predator also (not that I would, it's just for the recalibration ;) ), but if one wanted to, you could smoke the 315's very easily w/ the 85 of 100 hp tunes :cool: I also have a 6" Superlift on my truck, so clearance is not an issue for the taller/wider tires. Hope this helps, DinoMax :D :D

ski
09-08-2003, 19:03
stock BFGs on the H2 are 315/70R17. Key to them fitting on the 2500Hd is the backspacing. Numbers reported are about 1 ~ 1.5 MPG, your mileage may vary. I had 305/70s mounted on my truck for about a week (borrowed from a buddy) and liked the ride. You will notice a bit more lag when starting out, but with the juice you only really notice a wide patch of rubber left behind :D

Tommy turbo
09-08-2003, 19:20
I put the 285s on at 23000 miles now have 43000. Not any noticable tire wear. no balance probs. milage dropped around town maybe 1 mpg. highway about the same as before (18-19)Does not seem as quick off the line. But looks and drives much better. Very happy with them. Oh yeah no rubbing issuses. no mods to fenderwells.

HDMXDiesel0817
09-08-2003, 19:23
Tommy Turbo,

with your 285s you didn't have to do anything to your speedo or odo? If so I'm sold. thanks!!! :D :D :D

NWDmax
09-09-2003, 00:16
HDMX:Not to step on Tommy's toes but running the 285's(I've got BFG's AT's in the 285 size)will cause your odometer to read shy about 7%.
My speedo only reads 3 mph Off at 65 mph and is dead on at 35 mph.
Can't explain why the odometer and speedometer don't agree but I have checked the odometer numerous times on the measured mile and it is consistently off by that amount.

SoMnDMAX
09-09-2003, 01:16
25,000 miles on my 285 BFG AT's, no problems. They have about 1/2 of the tread left. I'm not easy on tires either.... As Tomac said, they are good for everything.

No real experience with the MT's. I do know they are loud...

Silver Bullet
09-09-2003, 10:23
I just put on my 2nd set of BFG AT's (285) and am very happy with the tire on and off road.

HD-Nate
09-09-2003, 12:52
I run 285's on mine, click my pictures below.

First off let me say I do not work for any tire manufacture or get anything from this from Tirerack.com, but they are a good resource for information.

Prior to the Bridgestone Dueler Revos all I ran was BFG All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires on my trucks. A friend of mine owns a Firestone store and suggested that I give the Revos a try. I am on my 3rd set, (3 different trucks) and had 38k miles on my set on the Z71 prior to selling.

If you are doing any heavy mudding, then these are not the tires. But I have had the wheel wells packed in mud on my old Z71 and the truck never stopped or even acted like it was going to get stuck.

There is a day and night difference in these tires. Although the BFG tire is a nice tire, it is old school technology. The Revos are the latest technology, and before you say

HDMXDiesel0817
09-09-2003, 13:01
Hey HD-Nate,

I know this is way off topic but, where'd you get that Allison decal? Saw it on your website, that's sweet man!! :D :D

HD-Nate
09-09-2003, 13:16
Someone here on the forum sell them. They live in Alaska. I cant find any of the e-mails we sent back and forth to each other.

Post a new topic in accessories asking about the stickers. He will answer!

DieselDixon
09-09-2003, 14:22
Hmm, great info guys. I did look at the Bridgestone tires, but I am going to have to go with the MT's and I don't think they have the "Revo" in the MT's only the AT's.

Anyway, on the same line here, what width wheel did you guys go with for the 285's? I am looking at the 16 x 8. The spec's call out for 7.5 - 9. Little worried about going with 10" because of them hitting the wheel well and when I air down the tires for the sand I don't want to worry about popping a bead. Thanks for all the great input.

Burner
09-09-2003, 22:35
Diesel D,

If you want to go tall with the 6.5X16 OEM rim then you need a 255 tire. ;) The 285 and up "will" require a wider rim. Many people do not heed the warning but that is their choice. :rolleyes: However, the OEM rim is good for 265 and 255 tires...ok, and the 245 stock (garbage) tires. I had the 255 MT KO's and liked them very much. My buddy, he's a logger, needed them more than I did so I sold him the tires. The BFG's balance well for mudders. One thing that I have noticed about the BFG MT and AT (new rubber compound) tires is that they wear down 40% pretty quick. However, after taht they seem to wear like Iron. You will notice the wear by the noise. In the beginning the tire is really quiet. Shortly they will be come a little noisy and stay the way for some time. Once the tires hit the 40-50% layer they will begin to quiet down. I've only had one set of each tire. The first set were 285's and the second set were 255's.

------ Just thinking. One of our tire guys has an F-150 "heavyly loaded" and has gotten 50k out of his 255's so far. His tires wore just like mine, quick at first and very slow later.

Burner-------> :D

jjackson
09-10-2003, 08:45
I put the 285 BFG's T/A's on my 2500 HD @ 5 miles, and now have 10,000. I primarily went w/the BFG's because they are the only ones I found w/a 3 ply sideway, and I pull a 13K 5th wheel w/about 2800 lbs pin weight, and I wanted the added stability. I show now wear thus far, but I rotate them at each oil change.

John

Tommy turbo
09-11-2003, 16:54
HDmxdiesel0817 sorry no answer sooner but the speedo is off by about 7% I just recalculate if i want. Still like my tires.