PDA

View Full Version : Got slammed with Rocks

Tractorhauler
02-05-2003, 08:47
Coming home from Greely, CO last Thursday we had 40-50 mph winds. Saw a loaded semi manure hauler blow over but as we were approaching Scottsbluff we were hit by a wind that was blowing rocks big enough to smash our windshield with large 2" divots(20) and the small sand took the paint off the vehicle. Yesterday the insurance okayed the claim but they took many pics for their records. How strong a wind does it take to blow around a grape sized rock?
This was not a twister but a short 2 second blast like that of a shotgun.
Trucks in the shop.
The only part of the truck not to be painted is the tailgate.

hoot
02-05-2003, 09:20
Wow,

That's a nasty situation to be in. I mean, it's downright deadly. Luckily you were inside the truck and not getting one of those rocks up side the head.

It's good you're runnin the Amsoil filter cause I don't think a K&N can handle dirt particles that small ;)

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

JimWilson
02-05-2003, 10:54
I've never heard of such a thing; sounds like it was nasty! To blast your paint right off? Geez.... Good luck with the repair.

Tractorhauler
02-05-2003, 11:04
The only thing that reminded me of this was wind that "wind shear" brought that airplane down in Dallas Ft. Worth. Upon landing this freak wind of over 120 mph plopped this plane on its head.

http://www.cyberair.com/tower/faa/app/p8740-40/p8740-40.html

oyazi
02-05-2003, 14:39
Did any of those 'rocks' look like bits of ceramic tile? :eek:

sonofagun
02-05-2003, 16:07
Tractor,

Sounds like a microburst to me. You can get cyclonic winds in a storm that are every bit a strong as a tornado and as we know tornados can throw cars in the air. The microbursts are as strong sometimes but don't last long enough to build the force needed to lift heavy stuff. Small rocks, however, are an easy lift for such weather events. They can be strong enough to flip you vehicle (like the hauler you saw). Sorry for the mess but glad you weren't hurt.

Regards,
Bob

Tractorhauler
02-05-2003, 20:52
Bob,
This looked like a black cloud of rain coming toward us as we were approaching a big valley in front of us. We were coming off of a big hogback ridge and it sounded like rain at first but then this blast hit us and my first thought was hail but the windshield was toast in just seconds.

I am thankful that the truck stayed grounded.
Only one small dent appeared on the sheat metal on the hood. All else was just sand blasted paint down to the metal.

regards,

Mark

afp
02-05-2003, 22:00
Sounds like a microburst to me too. The only thing wrose than going through on when you're on the ground is flying through one............

Blaine

JimWilson
02-05-2003, 23:03
Did you take any pics?

Tractorhauler
02-06-2003, 05:52
Jim,

No pics, I took it to our local GMC body shop and they were so slow that they gave me a suburban loaner and kept it. I do know that they took many digital pics since it was such a rare occurance and I will check with them to see if I can download and borrow.

Regards,

Mark