PDA

View Full Version : Cab and Chassis owners: I got ????'s

thechevyhdman
02-04-2003, 00:25
My fathers planning on replacing one of our 98' 6.5 C&C. Ive posted almost a year ago on some of the questions Im going to ask Im hoping maybe someone can answer them.
1) With the Allison PTO, How does it engage(electronically or cable)
2) Can the truck be moved in gear with the PTO engaged. (This is very important in our business)
3) To engage the PTO is it necessary to put the transfer case in neutral(or shut the truck off)
4) Will GM warranty my truck if equipped with acessory belt driven pump( I read once of a crank failure because of this)
Generally speaking away from the Dmax/Ally combo what do you think of your truck overall compared to the older style (93-00) Hold a load better etc etc.
Im going to be shopping for an 03' GMC Cab and Chassis in the spring Dmax/Ally slightly loaded, 84" cab to axle, And will be swapping on Multilift(Roll-off) hoist. Weve been setting up our trucks with a belt driven PTO pump as its easy to engage and the truck can be moved while PTO is running. However I dont want to snap a crank and have GM say "your on your own." Is there a person I can email from GM to ask? Would really like to have some questions answered before spending $36,000 on a new C&C.
Thanks for any of your help. Bill

77TransAm
02-04-2003, 07:38
The PTO engages electronically; a solenoid allows transmission main pressure to apply the clutch in the PTO. I believe the PTO can be engaged with the engine in gear, and I know for sure we could drive ours with the PTO engaged - we used to raise the dump bed as we pulled forward.