PDA

View Full Version : E-brake recall

dieseldummy
10-18-2005, 19:38
Talked to my local dealer today and asked about the emergancy brake recall. He said that my pickup is part of it ('01 GMC Dmax ZF6). He has to order the parts, but said as soon as he gets them he will call me. Currently the E-brake is untrustworthy and will not hold on the slightest incline. I'm very excited to have it fixed right. He also said I can come in up until Sept of 2006 and have the fuel filter changed under that recall. If anyone here needs a better E-brake I reccomend seeing if you vehicle falls under the current recall. I'll update when the work is done, hopefully it will be positive.
Justin

crafty
10-19-2005, 05:32
I went in for this recall. They took the back hubs apart, took a few mesurments to see if everything was within spec and then replaced one cable. They put it all back together and the brake is no better than it was before. They never changed the adjustment. Like you said Justin, it will not hold on the slightest incline. I called and told them a couple weeks ago but I haven't had time to go back for them to try again. The way it is I'm sure it wouldn't pass a safety. Be sure thet they do the adjustments while there are in there. It is almost an hours labour to do it right. :D :D :D

precision37
10-20-2005, 07:14
I had mine done in August and it works better now than when it was new. GM also reimbersed me for getting it done last year.
The peddle is rock hard almost as soon as I step on it, and the parking brake will stall the truck in second gear. No more worries on the boat ramp!

dieseldummy
10-20-2005, 20:57
Well, the parts are in and I take it in on Tues to get it fixed. He said they got a new cable, and will probably have to replace the linings. I've got my fingers crossed...

precision37
10-24-2005, 02:05
They're supposed to replace the linings if they are worn. I imagine that it's up to the dealer's discretion. If you have a good relationship with them, they'll probably do it. If not, maybe drive around with the parking brake on.

dieseldummy
10-25-2005, 18:37
Well, I got is done today. They replaced the cable assembly and the linings. Now it will lock up the rear wheels while coasting slowly. Works like an E-brake should IMO. They even changed a leaky axle seal for nothing while they were in there. I'm happy with the outcome and I would recomend that anyone else that can qualify for the recall get the work done.

Justin

Mark Heiken
10-26-2005, 05:20
Which rigs do qualify for the updates?

dieseldummy
10-26-2005, 18:06
As of now I think it's just the 6 speed equiped pickups. I don't know if it will be expanded or not.