PDA

View Full Version : Co-Pilot for the Allison *Update*

cowboywildbill
10-18-2005, 15:08
A friend of mine has an 03 chevy 3500. He is running a chip that you can adjust the HP and Torque at about 7 different levels for each and it has the settings on the module like the Edge. But I don't think it is an edge product. I forgot what it is. He kept throwing codes. and limping the trans. He had a co pilot installed and it didn't seem to help at all and his tow haul light wouldn't work afrer the install. He found out that the shop that installed it, soldered a wire to the wrong pin on the gauge cluster. The Tech that straightened it out said that the cluster was damaged and had to replace it. After it was finished he can run the power way up and tow with it and it doesn't throw any codes or lock out the OD or limp anymore. I was wondering if the Co Pilot is worth the money and will really hold more power and make the trans last longer. Or is it just a band aid? Just wanted to know if anyone else has had any experiences with them. I know that the Sun Coast is awesome but cost a lot more and the trans has to be R&R.

[ 11-04-2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]

dmaxalliTech
10-27-2005, 12:27
The Co-Pilot is a decent upgrade, but I dont think its the best. Its alot of money and for what it costs to install a Transgo kit, your about the same money as a Co-Pilot with much better results.

If the trans is hurt at all now, the co-pilot will do nothing for you.

Unfortunatly, any upgrade worth doing will require trans removal.

cowboywildbill
10-27-2005, 16:39
Thanks

Thanks, I thought it was not as good as an upgrade with the clutch packs and convertor. I haven't had any issues with my tranny yet. Almost 50,000 miles. I think when the time comes I will go for the suncoast .

cowboywildbill
11-04-2005, 16:15
Well all was well for a while, But while on a trip to Texas the trans failed and wouldn't stay in OD. He drove it to ATS and they did the overhaul with deep pan ,clutch packs,torque convertor and the Co-pilot.
They said it will take anything he can put to it now. And they painted it purple. He hasn't towed with it yet. I will let you know how it goes. When I hear from him.

cowboywildbill
11-04-2005, 16:16
And you were right! If the tranny was hurt it wouldn't help! He didn't think it was, but after adding the power back to it, it let go.

cowboywildbill
11-06-2005, 15:27
Well they drove twenty some hours back home while towing. He was really happy with the tranny. He was running the power on level 7, and said it just walked up the mountains. He had a friend along that shared with some of the driving.His friend has a new Ford, and he couldn't beleive how much better the Chevy pulled than his chipped up Ford.

More Power
11-06-2005, 16:28
Thanks for the update.

It is a relief not having to worry about the transmission.... smile.gif

Jim