PDA

View Full Version : H2 wheels/tires on a 03 GMC

David Proske
09-04-2003, 19:44
Has anyone fit the H2 wheels and tires on a 03 GMC? I am curious on just how much bumper mods, and rear fender liner trimming is needed. Do they rub on the fender "flare"?

Can I do this without changing torsin bar "keys"? How much lift is needed? Ride quality after lifting?

Reason i ask is i lifted my 94 a couple inches by the torsin bars and it rides like a tank now, and seems to put the steering linkage at off angles.

thanks for any help,
dave

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-04-2003, 20:09
It depends on what size tire you buy.

I am running 33-12.50/17's without keys or a large crank up on the torsion.

GMC ;)

hoagie
09-04-2003, 20:41
David,
I am driving a 2001 GMC K2500 Duramax Allison and I recently bought 4 H2rims from ebay ($285 delivered) and put on Nitto 404 305/60/17 's on them. I had to do no trimming, twisting or anything! They are rated at about 2950 lb at 44 psi. the reduced tire pressure has made my truck ride softer, the tire noise is non exsistant and the combination looks GREAT!
Hoagie

GMC K2500 Duramax Allison
Banks SS monster exhaust
Amsoil air filter and dual remote oil filter

Jelisfc
09-05-2003, 07:17
David, I just did mine and will post pics this weekend with a full report and first impression.

Catalina455
09-08-2003, 12:01
David, check out the pictures of my truck in my signature. The H2 tires/rims will fit without lift keys or trimming the front air dam. Although mine is an 02 GMC, the 03 modifications are identical. Yes, it requires bumper mods and some inner fender plastic work, but when done the truck looks like a factory GM prototype. From a personal perspective, the H2 tires and rims raise the vehicle enough. Any more and I wouldn't be comfortable towing a car trailer. To each his/her own, but I personally don't understand why folks spend money on green keys and try to convince us that a hacked air dam looks good. It simply looks hacked!

ski
09-08-2003, 19:11
its personal choice. raising the front end eliminates the "nose dive" look like you are slamming on the brakes. I use my truck off road where I have to, not cranking would definately contact due to less wheel well travel during any modest suspension articulation. if you do the mods right, it should not look hacked.....

ratlover
09-09-2003, 13:55
Catalina

it does look better IMO withough hacking on the bumper trim. How much do you have to crank the t-bars to get it to fir 315's? Do you need 2" of crank?

No offense....is there something hidden in moving the bumper forwar an 1"? It just seems to be kinda pricey, thats all.

Very nice looking rig smile.gif

Uncle Dimmy
09-09-2003, 14:34
What is the offset of the H2 wheels? I am currently running 315/75/16's on my truck and the only rubbing I get is on the inside of the A-Arm's from the side wall of the tire. I need a different offset on a new set of wheels, unless someone else has a better idea.

I'm either going to keep my current tires and buy some Eagle 58 Series "Baha Series" 16 x 8 wheels or I'm thinking of the H2 take-offs w/35" tires.

Anyone who knows the offset of the stock wheel I have please let me know. If anyone knows what the offset of the H2 wheels are, please let me know. I need to do something pretty soon.

D'Max_2_DA_Max
09-12-2003, 13:29
Uncle Dimmy

If you haven't got this yet the back spacing on the H2's is 5.5"

Catalina455
09-15-2003, 07:50
Ratlover, the torsion bars aren't cranked up all the way. I believe they are 4 turns on one side and 5 on the other. I posted the turns a while back. Removing the engine cover, front grill and doing the metalwork on the bumper is time consuming, therefore somewhat expensive. I have to pay a shop a fee to rent it for a half day, plus materials (sawzall/airsaw blades,sandpaper; etc.) During the bumper mods, you need a helper to hold the bumper while making cuts, plus reshaping on the anvil. It also helps to have someone adjusting the torsion bars while you take measurements on all 4 corners to level the truck. Add in shop rental, plus a fee to have someone assist and the costs add up.

ratlover
09-15-2003, 08:59
Understand time is money smile.gif i was more wondering for a person to do the mod at home and such.

I was just wondering if it was really involved or not. I'm strongly considering the H2 wheels and having a set of winter tires and some summer tires. You ussually have a problem getting the chromed ones in without the caps?

I thought all you had to do to the bumper was elongate the mounting holes and slide it forward a bit? About an 1"?

Thanks

Catalina455
09-17-2003, 07:04
Ratlover, you are correct in that you are elongating the bumper holes to move forward an inch. Unfortunately, the top 8 holes have a rolled bumper lip immediately behind them. To elongate the holes, you have to roll the lip flat (dead blow hammer on an anvil) and then use an air saw to cut it back (start at one side of existing hole and then cut down, across and up. The bottom two bolts aren't a problem as they are non-weight bearing so you can just cut the holes straight back. I really don't think that you could just use a die grinder with carbide bit and just take the material on the top bolts back and have it work.

ratlover
09-17-2003, 07:16
Makes sense. I havent had it off to see what was involved. Thats why I was asking.

KISMIF
09-17-2003, 14:23
IIRC the 03 model year has slotted bumper holes.

Someone said the 03 could bumper could eaisly be moved forward 1 inch.

Try a search. Should be out there somewhere.

-KISMIF