PDA

View Full Version : My Intercooler Progress

Splitrimz
07-25-2005, 19:30
I made some headway on my intercooler mod last weekend. I mounted the cooler, made a grill and hay bale deflecting bars, readied the snorkle and ran the return tubing. Maybe next weekend I'll turn the turbo outlet down and complete the hookup. I'll take better photos, these were taken at night with a flash. Link Intercooler Pics (http://www.wheelswings-things.com/INTERCOOLER.htm)

'94 6.5 TD, Crew Cab, Dually.

Splitrimz

RT
07-26-2005, 18:03
Nice work on the guard! RT

dieseldummy
07-26-2005, 20:20
Lookin' good IMO. Is that black ABS in the first pic? If so I do hope it is just for mockup purposes. Good luck.

Barry Nave
07-27-2005, 01:03
Look's like it. Kent set up was done this way and could not get the IC temps above 130*.
So on the return why would not the ABS work?

HowieE
07-27-2005, 05:16
With respect to ABS piping. The temperature that will effect the ABS is not the airflow through the pipe during driving but the temperature under the hood when you shut down. That temperature will be in the 190 or higher range.

99gmccrew
07-27-2005, 06:32
Very impressive grill. Looks like it won't impede air flow at all. Nice work.

Splitrimz
07-27-2005, 15:25
Hi,
Yes that is black ABS on the snorkle. I'm glad I posted here, didn't know it would melt. I'll have to find another way, although I liked the short bend radius of the 2 ea 90 degree elbows.

Splitrimz

farmerherb
07-27-2005, 15:59
What did you make the cooler grill from? Also are you planning to rotate the top intake snorkle around to the driver's side to connect to the return line?

Splitrimz
07-27-2005, 17:12
"What did you make the cooler grill from? Also are you planning to rotate the top intake snorkle around to the driver's side to connect to the return line?"

I welded up some aluminum channel and aluminum rounds to make the horizontal grill, it is mostly cosmetic, the two vertical bumper bars are 1/2" steel rod. The bumper bars have already saved my bacon on a curb stone at the local drive in. I heard the crunch and the front raised. The bars held and slid up the curb, saving my brand new intercooler. I'm not suggesting that they will protect from all hazards but it worked that time.

My plan is to not rotate the snorkle, rotating makes it interfere with the fuel filter and I did not want to move the filter. If I stick with the present photo of the snorkle, it will mount as shown and the return pipe comes across the top of the center of the motor and hooks in.

I have another plan on the burners where I could leave the turbo factory mounted, use a "S" type hookup that would "S" it's way around the snorkle and go to the cooler down the long pipe that you see in photo 3. The return pipe would then come up the passenger side and hook into the shortened snorkle. I think the clearance is there, I'm going to try a test fit this weekend if time permits. If this works, it get's all the piping where I can easily get to it.

Question, has anyone experimented with insulating the piping, especially in the motor compartment?
My thoughts are that that might help keep things cooler?
;)