PDA

View Full Version : 215/85R16E vs. 225/75R16E

Rick T
09-01-2003, 22:51
I've been running the 215 E's, an upgrade from the D's that came with the truck, for about 36000 miles. These General tires have held up well, but I final suffered an undetected flat on an inside rear which shredded the tire. I may buy one new tire to put on the front in combo with the (new) spare, but the wear on the tires may result in replacement of the complete set. Has anyone looked at the 225's? I haven't had a chance yet to compare load carrying capability, price and availability, but as a minimum can anyone comment on whether this size works on the rear with stock steel wheels?

The Bridgestone web site says 9.9" spacing required for the 215's and 10.2" spacing required for the 225's. I know it's tight back there becase the 235/85's I tried right after I bought the truck touched under load.

Any input would be appreciated.

Rick T

09-02-2003, 03:32
The 225's were an option on these trucks. I had the same problem as you with the 235's hitting. The truck handled poorly with a load also. Bit the bullet and went to 225x19.5's and was amazed at the difference in ride and handling. Also they last 2-3 times as long as LT tires. Large initial cost but over the long run they more than pay off and are a lot safer to use.

Heartbeat Hauler
09-02-2003, 14:52
I did something dumber. I neglected the front end alignment & tire rotation. Long story short, two worn out front tires with 15K on them. I purchased two new Wrangler LT tires in 215/85 $360 mounted & balanced instead of $570 for six 225/75 tires. Which just pi$$es me off that GM would put these BS tires on instead of 235/85 like everyone else AND Michelins in this size cost 85 bucks each...DAMN those narrow minded engineers. I know I know they are the right size for tranny gears and rear diff gears and optimum pulling blah blah blah. Wake the hell up GM!!! :mad:
Venting complete.
I love my truck
I love my truck
I love my truck
self-worth enhancement complete tongue.gif
JP