PDA

View Full Version : 1 inch lift blocks?

JimWilson
09-01-2003, 08:21
Does anyone know of a company that makes 1 inch lift blocks? I installed the "green" keys in my truck and now the front is actually higher then the rear, and that's with the PS cranked all the way down (the DS always sits lower then the PS on my truck, so I have to crank the DS more turns in order to level it out -- that's why the DS isn't all the way down too).

The reason I only want a 1 inch block are mostly financial. The factory u-bolts have almost 1 1/2 inches of thread showing, so even if I install a 1 inch block I'll still have plenty of thread. A 2 inch block would require all new u-bolts, and that's gonna run me about $40-$50, which I'd rather not spend if I don't have to.

I was thinking about making some of my own out of solid steel or iron but then there's the problem with the factory centerpins being too short, so I tossed that idea. My local 4wd center has 1 inch aluminum blocks that they use for lowering trucks, but I really don't want to use aluminum in a HD truck. Add-a-leafs are out because I'd rather not pry apart my spring packs to do the job.

I've checked the web sites of every lift manufacturer I can think of (rancho, procomp, fabtech, trailmaster, superlift and skyjacker), but most of them don't even sell just blocks, let alone 1 inch blocks. And I can't find a company one that will sell a 2 inch block "kit" that would already have the u-bolts, so even if I wanted to go that route I couldn't.

Any ideas on where I can get 1 inch blocks? Or any other suggestions to gain an inch or 2 in the back WITHOUT compromising my weight handling or towing ability? I'd really like to get this done before the cold weather sets in (and if the last few nights are any indication winter will be coming early to Jersey because it's been in the mid-50's).

WhiteDuramax
09-01-2003, 12:18
Try, truckinsuspension.com they sell lift blocks that come with U bolts.Might also check out Summit or Jegs and see if they have any.

JimWilson
09-01-2003, 13:10
I'll see what they have. Thanks...

Jelisfc
09-01-2003, 14:38
Make your own steel ones. Drill a hole and tap it for a cap screw with a head the size of the spring pin and drill out the other side enough for the spring pin to drop into. Either that or a roll pin. Just someting to keep the block from shifting. I did that on my '78 and worked fine.

I'm suprised you have that much room. Mine have exactly 1" to the end of the u-bolt and that's not fully threaded.

BassinRVer
09-02-2003, 07:06
You can call victoria performance at 361-578-6375. They make the keyways and blocks.

Kennedy
09-02-2003, 08:53
Add a leaf and re-arch all of the free leaves. You will not be disappointed!

JimWilson
09-02-2003, 10:47
Originally posted by kennedy:
Add a leaf and re-arch all of the free leaves. You will not be disappointed! ...except with the price. I'm trying to keep this under $100, otherwise my "better half" is gonna shoot me. Look at my sig -- think she wants me spending more money on "that d@mn truck"? :D

CRUZILLA
09-09-2003, 21:38
What are "Green Keys"?

JoeyD
09-10-2003, 05:03
Call Steve at Off Road design. He sells a 1 inch lift block and longer u-bolts seperate. I think they are both under 100 bucks total.

JimWilson
09-16-2003, 06:24
Originally posted by CRUZILLA:
What are "Green Keys"? They're new torison bar keys, indexed in such a manner as to provide you a 2" lift in the front end.

EOHD
10-15-2003, 15:12
Originally posted by kennedy:
Add a leaf and re-arch all of the free leaves. You will not be disappointed! John, about how much should this cost at a reputable spring outfit? Benz Spring in Portland is only 160 miles away and they do very good work, but they don't do it cheap (go figure, you get what you pay for) -

TIA for your info -
Rob

jsa
10-17-2003, 17:00
Where these green keys be purchased

EOHD
10-17-2003, 19:13
GM Part #15592573 -- gmpartsdirect or your local dealer - my dealer charged me $23/ea. - you can realize some savings on the parts from gmpartsdirect but you'll probably give it back in S&H

TXDMAX
10-18-2003, 06:08
try these, they are 1 1/2 inch from fabtech
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Block%20%26%20U-Bolt%20Kits/op=eq/tf=sku.html?id=DP3s5ME7

JimWilson
10-20-2003, 07:01
I actually ended up using blocks and u-bolts from Superlift.

EOHD
10-20-2003, 18:15
If relative cost wasn't a consideration, would it make sense to install air bags instead of the blocks and just add air to achieve the 2" lift?

Not sure, but probably $150 vs. $350 +/- a few bucks either way.

You'd also gain the load management capabilities of the adjustable air bags - of course you'd also pay for it...

Rob

JimWilson
10-21-2003, 08:48
As with most things cost is a factor, so that was part of the decision. But I really didn't go that route because a lot of it was based upon appearance. I don't tow a big 5th wheel, or haul 3K very often, so air bags weren't as useful for me.

BTW; the blocks and bolts cost $75, not $150.

EOHD
10-21-2003, 19:42
Guess I should have structured my question differently - what I meant to ask was whether or not "I" (as in me) could achieve the same thing - i.e., a 2" lift - by utilizing air bags instead of the blocks - assuming I was willing to spend the extra $ to do so.

And, does your concern with appearance have to do with the comparative visibility of the air bags as opposed to the blocks?

Sorry I overestimated the cost of the blocks, it wasn't intentional -

JimWilson
10-22-2003, 07:35
I'm no expert with the bags, but I'd think that 2" is possible with them. But realistically, bags are more for leveling out a tow vehicle, and not really intended to be used as a "lift". Might want to consider that when you make your decision.

The appearance factor was strictly because I think GM makes 4wd trucks that have the clearance and look of a 2wd truck, and that I don't like. Now, my truck actually looks like a truck. Well, at least what I think a truck should look like anyway. smile.gif

EOHD
10-22-2003, 19:59
Good points - one last question -

Went to the Superlift web site and I can't find the proper application/part # for a 2" rear block kit on the 2003 Silverado 2500HD - will the kit you bought work on my pickup and (OK, two questions)if so could you provide the part #?

TIA for the help -
Rob

JimWilson
10-23-2003, 11:38
Mine wasn't a kit, per se, it was individual parts. I suspect that the 02 and 03 rear axle/springs setup is the same, but you'd have to check with them. The parts I got were:

021-2 -- 2" blocks (pair)
11064 -- 5/8 x 2.5 x 11 u bolts (4)