PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lights flickering

Quarter Horse
01-31-2003, 15:53
Pulled my 4 horse gooseneck last night, and the cruise kept failing. I noticed that when it happened, the readout on my Prodigy brake controller went wild, and that the trailer running lights flickered at the same time. Loose ground at the trailer, or what?

srubrn
01-31-2003, 22:22
Sounds like you do have a loose ground. Some installations depend on the hitch for the ground. You should connect the ground though.

FisHn2DMax
02-01-2003, 02:02
It's probably a bad ground, but it also could be a problem with your brake pedal switch/sensor or controller?

Since the Brake controller is activated by the Brake light switch and the cruise control deactivated by the break switch, then it's possible you have a bad brake light switch. You could verify this very easily unhooking your trailer and seeing if your rear truck brake lights seems to flicker while depressing the Brake pedal. The fact your cruise control is kicking out, and the brake controller is freaking out doesn't fully make sense? Don't rule out the possibility of a failure in the brake controller, although not likely, it is a possibility.

Start with trying to find the grounding problem because this could explain the problem. Normally ground is made between the tow vehicle and the trailer through the ball and hitch assemblies. If you have any rust or corrosion on these, you wont get a good ground connection.

Good Luck:

smile.gif smile.gif

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: FisHn2DMax ]</p>