PDA

View Full Version : Greasing the Chassis

k1rod
01-25-2005, 07:18
Hi all, The last time I had a grease gun in my hands was back in the 70's before all the cars did away with the grease zerks. Back then, we just pumped away until the grease bled out of some part of the rubber boot, then we knew it was full. :eek: I was getting ready to apply this same procedure to my new Duramax Silverado and figured I'd better check to make sure something hasn't changed since the 70's. After reading a bit, I could not find a conclusive answer but it does seem that people try to avoid filling the boot until the grease comes out now. Is filling the boot this much bad for it? Does it damage the seal if the grease bleeds out? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

lburks
01-25-2005, 07:46
My general rule for any car I have greased is to pump 3 times on the ball joints. On the knuckles I may pump several times until the grease oozes out from under the rubber boot. (not a sealed boot).

k1rod
01-25-2005, 08:53
Are the Ball Joints in the Silverado sealed? If you pump them up enough that grease bleeds out of them have you damaged them?

Bugsy
01-25-2005, 19:09
On boots you wanna see it just start to move.
Stop.
None of the boots are actually sealed.
If they were you wouldn't have to grease them.
They all lose grease different ways but pumping the grease into them until it starts coming out around them is just way too much.
Where there is no boot I give them 3 pumps.
Don't forget to wipe the zerk before you grease and after too.

k1rod
01-26-2005, 07:14
Thanks guys. Great information. I had already done the upper ball joints "until the grease oozed out" but I think they'll probably be OK. I just won't do that again. I appreciate the info! Best -rod

David Proske
01-27-2005, 01:57
I use shaffers #238 grease. Good stuff. I put 3 pumps in everything. I grease every 5K.

k1rod
01-29-2005, 19:53
I bought some Mobil 1 synthetic grease. I don't know if it is really any better but I like Mobil 1 products in general. I use Delvac 1 for my motor oil.

David Proske
01-30-2005, 01:07
I tried the mobil 1 grease. As soon as the westher turned warm in my garage, the grease seperated in the grease gun and made a mess on the shelf. The oil seeped out of the grease gun and ran everywhere.

I don't know if the Shaeffers grease lubes any better than normal grease, but at least it doesn't make a mess in the grease gun, and will not wash out of the grease boots.

I also had good luck with the Valvoline full synthetic grease. It didn't seperate on me either.

One person said a while back that some oil seperation is good in a grease as it helps lube the joint. Well, it surly won't help if all the oil seperates and oozes out of the grease gun before I can use it :mad:

jbplock
01-30-2005, 03:31
Originally posted by David Proske:
... mobil 1 grease... seperated in the grease gun ....oil seeped out...I had the same experience with the M1 grease a few years ago.. Since then I've been using AMSOIL synthetic grease which doesn't seem to seperate like the M1 did. When my stash of AMSOIL runs out I plan to try the Schaeffers #238 (http://www.schaefferoil.com/products/heavy.html).

smile.gif