PDA

View Full Version : weak rails

jlars
01-31-2003, 08:47
I have a lumber rack on my HD and sometimes use it. I recently noticed that the front rails on the bed are being pushed down by the weight of what I carry on the rack. This is at front corners only. It must be a weak spot in bed. Has anyone had to reiforce in order to carry weight on rack? If so, what is best solution?

johnpugh
01-31-2003, 10:31
I found this TSB Reference on the NHTSA site:

PICKUP BOX SHEET METAL FRACTURE / DAMAGE WITH AFTERMARKET ACCESSORIES INSTALLED:

Make: GMC
Model: SIERRA
Year: 2003
Service Bulletin Number: 010866014A
Bulletin Sequence Number: 634

Black Dog
01-31-2003, 10:34
GM sells a reinfocement kit for the bed rails for exactly the problem that you are seeing. The TSB mentioned above has part #s and more info. if it is the one I am thinking of.

et
01-31-2003, 14:45
The GM and Chev Fleetside Pickup Box, RPO E63, has needed the reinforcing kit since the 1999 model year.

See Bulletin: Info - Availability of Pickup Box Reinforcement Kits for Toolbox/Rear Window Barrier/Ladder Rack Applications #01-08-66-005

BobW
02-01-2003, 22:14
I'd say the entire bed rail needs reinforcement. Have noticed that where I have knelt on the bed rail when locking/unlocking my 5th wheel hitch there are "depressions" in what passes for a steel rail. Thinking about having my "under-rail" spray-in bed liner redone over the rail or go to bed rail caps - any recommendations would be appreciated.

BadDog
02-05-2003, 09:27
Anyone got pics of the parts used for reinforcing (before/after install)?

TC
02-05-2003, 20:49
I also have problems with weak construction on my truck bed. When it was only a couple of weeks old I bolted a headache rack on and then put about 300 miles on gravel roads pulling a gooseneck trailer. The vibration from the rack did more than $1,100 damage to the bed.

My fix was to put steel bed caps on and then bolt the headache rack on top of those. So far so good on the front and tops of the bed as far as the rack part goes.

But I found new damage at the back stake hole. Looks like the top of the bed separated from the bottom where I tied a load down with a ratchet strap. The metal broke out on both sides of the spot welds and allowed it to pull up. This was from a light load, nothing heavy at all!. The construction of the beds are much lower quality than my 1990 Chevy 4x4 bed.

JimWilson
02-05-2003, 23:42
Like a rock?? :confused: