PDA

View Full Version : Duramax How many grease fittings?

86gmc
06-23-2002, 17:25
Hello, Going to change oil and grease fittings at 1000 miles. Does anyone remember how many grease fittings on a 4x4 Duramax/Allison so I do not miss any?
------------------------------------
796 miles now & 20.18 MPG on 1st tank second tank 19.86mpg highway at 65 mph empty bed., 2002 Reg Cab LS 4x4 2500HD Duramax/Allison, Snow plow prep, Posi-Traction 8 ft. bed. Allready wanting the Juice!

SoMnDMAX
06-23-2002, 18:02
11 zerks-

1 on each upper ball joint, 1 on each lower ball joint, 1 on the pitman arm, 1 on each inner tie rod, 1 on each outer tie rod, and 2 on the idler arm.

odoh
06-23-2002, 18:44
May I ask why?

Whats so bad about them that requires a changeout?

~ odoh

86gmc
06-23-2002, 19:03
Thank You Guys! Got it Chevy Duramax has 11 zerks on front end. Guess there are none on driveline. My 2001 dodge diesel only had 3 total on 4x4 cummins diesel. Don't miss the dodge any at all, was tired of sloopy wandering steering.
-------------------------------------------
2002 Summit White Reg Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, posi, snow plow package + more. Loving it! Want Juice!

Diesel_Lawyer
06-24-2002, 15:35
I figured this would be the best place to ask the experts.

Anyone have experience with pneumatic and/or manual grease guns? I looked at a pnematic grease gun but it had a solid outlet tube. I think it would be difficult to reach zerk fittings without a flexible hose. Can I put a flexible hose on a pneumatic grease gun?

Also , anyone have pictures of where those zerk fittings are?

And how much grease do u pump through the zerk fittings?

86gmc
06-24-2002, 20:33
Thanks, Found all eleven zerks and greased them, Looks like 3 zerks above the skid plate area which I left on would be easier to service if I changed them to a 45 degree or maybe 90 degree fitting, think I will. Sure was easy draing the rear axle with the drain plug on bottom that has a magnet. Front differential has a drain plug and will change fluid next oil change, looks easy. 960 miles and loving it 1 week old now!

01_Duramax_Dually
06-25-2002, 09:00
Diesel Lawyer,
I use the pneumatic grease gun with a 15" flexible tube. I bought the Craftsman set up. I believe Lincoln makes it for them. Excellent unit and very easy to use. So nice tapping a trigger to grease then trying to hold line on to zerk fitting while cranking a lever. Besides, you cannot get to all of them without a flexible line.

On edit: Just fill them until you see the boot start to move. Do not overfill where you explode grease out. I also highly recommend synthetic grease like a Redline or Amsoil.

Also you can add a flexible line to any hard line grease gun. Most just screw right in.

Good Luck

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: 01_Duramax_Dually ]</p>

Norm B
06-25-2002, 22:18
I recently lubed my 2002 4WD ext cab/sb and did not find any zerk fittings on the upper and lower ball joints. I was wondering if they changed these to a sealed joint. What is the orientation of these fittings? I assumed they should be straight up and straight down.

SoMnDMAX
06-25-2002, 23:04
Norm, on the '01 trucks, the upper BJ zerks point straight up.

The lower BJ zerks are a bit different- they point up, but also towards the rear of the truck. Turn the wheels to the left to expose the passenger side lower BJ zerk. It's located between the lower control arm and the steering knuckle, it is recessed in the control arm somewhat, so it can be difficult to see.

The drivers side zerk can be found the same way as the passenger side, only turn the wheels to the right to expose the zerk.

Now, the '02 trucks MAY be different, but I'd be willing to bet they are identical to the '01s.

Silver Bullet
06-26-2002, 21:18
I have added a 90 degree to my grease gun (haven't tried it yet!)...at the auto parts store ask for a 90 degree brass fitting (male/female)...I think these are the same size as the brass fittings for fuel line into a carb.

Norm B
06-27-2002, 00:30
Thanks for the info SnMnDmax. I found the zerks. Can't beleive I missed them before. Must have been because I had the truck up on ramps to drain the oil. I did have to put my small diameter solid extention tip back on my old grease gun because the flex tube had a connector that was too large to fit the zerk.