PDA

View Full Version : They love the Heat

hammer
06-23-2002, 17:13
Have ya folks noticed how much better & stronger your D/A runs when it gets warm out.I noticed mine has got more power & seems to get better fuel mileage the warmer it gets.We have 92 here & the heat index is at 100.The ole D/A just humms in this weather & talk about more power.It seems the hotter the better for mine.I noticed that when its cooler the fuel mileage isnt as good as when its hotter or the performance either.Im pulling 26,800 gross load & it just humms in this weather,gotta love it.No matter how I try I cant get it over 195 in temp on the engine & it never has gotton over 190 on the allis.I worked it as hard as I could & the harder I work it the better it performs.Ya gotta admit GM has got a winner here far as Im concerned.Ive had it just over a year now & it has run flawlessly for me.What a truck.Sure hope everybody out there is as satified as I am with this truck.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif

Jake99Z71
06-23-2002, 18:17
hammer,
I live in your neck of the woods and I've got my Dmax running about 200+ degrees. It runs a lot better when it gets this hot. It has more power and better fuel economy with this temperature too. I try to keep this hot in the winter too.

hammer
06-23-2002, 18:33
Hi Jake,We wanted summer,well here it is.LOL,Hot Ha,Did ya get your truck from Fagen?Thats were mine came from.Mine runs about the same as yours for temp. between 195 & 200.I never seen anything like it for power when it gets this warm. Nothing but pure power.Ya gotta love it.Hope ya have the good running Im having with mine.Were full timing it around the US.Fiqure its gonna take about 4 yrs. to complete the plan.So far we have went through 9 states since weve had the truck & trailer about a year now & not a flaw in either one.Good luck with yours too. Hammer smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

NickLeinonen
06-24-2002, 12:19
don't forget that in the colder months, fuel stations put out d1 instead of the d2 summer fuel.

all diesels love to run hot.. the one deutz i tinkered with at school ran super hot [air/oil cooled] temp gauge didn't have numbers on it. scanned the head with the temp sender with an IR pyrometer, it read

Kennedy
06-24-2002, 18:43
We see this on the dyno too, up to a point. It will gain until a certain point, then drop just a bit which is likely due to partial engagement of the fan clutch, and a buildup of heat at the IAT sensor in the air box.

As for hot/humid ambients, I think it falls off a bit in acceleration, but it does like to run!

KompressorMan
06-26-2002, 21:00
Well, I'm not so sure about all this. I think there may be another factor working here, such as the fuel. In the summer, the density altitude goes way up. In other words, it's like the normal sea level pressure changes to several thousand feet higher in hot weather. So, the more air you get in the better it run's i.e. cold air. I'd like to hear more about this. Just my 2 cents
Herb