PDA

View Full Version : Grease gun and zerks

Dmaxducker
01-30-2003, 21:58
Finally got around to doing the chassis lube. I was looking for the pic's that 56Nomad posted at one time, but the "PictureTrail posting had expired". I think I found all 11 zerks though. I sure had trouble with the two handed grease gun though. Anyone have suggestions where to find a more user friendly gun? I did find a one-handed unit at NAPA but hated to spend $35 on another grease gun. It was abit hilarious the methods I had to use to pump the grease out while holding the tip on the zerk - glad no cameras around.

ccds
01-31-2003, 00:07
take a look at my pic's I posted the zerk pictures there for ppl to see. They are not my pictures I just copied them from another site
but they are use full....

smile.gif

a5150nut
01-31-2003, 00:39
Try putting two hoses on your greese gun. Use a pipe coupling to conect them. Then you can lay the gun on the ground and push the handle.

Dmaxducker
01-31-2003, 00:39
Yeah , I think these were the pic's I had seen. Is #7 the Pittman arm? How do you know you've added enough grease? Is there a trick to it?
I assume that too much could be a bad thing.

ccds
01-31-2003, 06:27
This is the information posted with the orginal pic's

"Before doing the chassis lube, pump a little grease out of the gun to clean out any dirt that may have gotten into it. Also clean off any dirt/grease on each zerk before attaching the grease gun fitting, so you don

Tsckey
01-31-2003, 22:52
I use a pistol grip style grease gun made by Lincoln. I don't remember the model number, but it takes full size cartriges and has an 18" flexible hose, which makes it easy (relatively) to reach all the zerks. You can hold the thingie on the zerk with one hand and squeeze with the other. Pep Boys and Sears both carry them. I don't remember the price, either. Not a whole lot of help, I guess.

TC

chrisinkanata
02-01-2003, 08:23
If you have an air compressor, you can't beat a pnuematic grease gun with two 9" hoses on it! Wipe the zerks all first, one finger on the trigger, the other hand putting the hose fitting on the zerk and away you go. Done in seconds instead of minutes.

Just my $.02...

cattlelady
02-01-2003, 11:57
Lincoln makes a real nice battery operated gun. Good pressure. I used air, but with equipment I am not always near the compressor.