PDA

View Full Version : PINION BEARING NOISE

MIKE MOG
01-20-2005, 16:32
HI GUY'S
I THINK I HAVE THE NOISE IN WHAT I THOUGHT WAS THE ALLISON. I THINK IM DEALING WITH A REAR PINION BEARING IN A 11.5 INCER. HAS ANY ONE CHANGED ONE OF THESE? IS IT TOUGH AND WHAT KIND OF TOOLS WILL I NEED? THIS THING IS A 2003 CHEVY 2500 WITH A DURAMAX AND A ALLISON.
COULD USE THE ADVISE!!
THANKS, MIKE MOG

BMDMAX
01-21-2005, 06:51
Are you out of warranty? You need special tools to dissassemble the differential and the pinion bearing seating process has some monster torque specs.

From my discussions with the tech at the dealer they swap out the entire differential assembly rather than rebuild the existing one.

It is not a task I would want to tackle in the driveway for sure.

DeepVee
01-21-2005, 10:47
One of the main carrier bearings recently went south on my 2001 40,000 mile 11.5. I thought it was the pinion or outter hub bearings, but ended up being the main carrier bearing and race on the driver's side. Race was spun and case trashed. GM replaced the entire rear end under GMPP. It all started with a howling noise at highway speeds. I ran it on jackstands to confirm noise before taking it in.

MIKE MOG
01-21-2005, 13:36
Thank's guys. I do have a gmpp on the truck. I took it to the dealer and he said he would look at it.
Mike Mog
I just joined the web site and I love it already!