PDA

View Full Version : What tranny cooler do i need? i need some help on this one

Shaun091382
08-28-2003, 10:22
Hello i am just wondering i have a '93 6.5TD 2500 3/4 P/U 4X4 and i am wanting to install a tranny cooler and i dont know what size (GVW) i need to be looking into..i rarely tow and if i do it is just a 24' camper and that is maybe only once or twice in a blue moon. Anyways i know my truck GVW is 8600lbs so any help here would be greatly appreciated..i was looking at B&M tranny coolers.

a64pilot
08-28-2003, 13:22
Attempt #2,
Screwed up the URL the first time. Anyway try contacting John at Kennedy Diesel (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) He would have more knowledge on the 4L60/80. most of us here have the Dmax/Allison

chuntag95
08-28-2003, 14:02
I vote for the biggest one you can find and make fit. :D That's what I did on my Allison. You might not need to do that if you don't have a tranny gauge to watch and make you paranoid. :eek: redface.gif

jbplock
08-28-2003, 17:38
Shaun091382,

Dittos to Chris's advice!

BD (http://www.bd-power.com/gmc/product.php?pn=Transmission%20Coolers&tt=gmc) makes a nice cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan that can be mounted under the truck on the driver’s side. Also try posting/searching in the 6.5 and Members forums (although a search may be limited since the recent loss of older posts due to a server problem) ;)

[ 08-28-2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

sdaver
08-28-2003, 20:27
wait till september 13th I hear kennedy gives a discount on your birthday

chevmeister
08-29-2003, 16:01
if kennedy discounts on your bday im calling him tomarrow.
The list is growing faster that its shrinking.

Allison Jettester
09-02-2003, 08:23
I, like Chuntag95, put on a very big 15x11x2 Setrab cooler. I towed my camper and boat to Canada and back last month. The cooler makes an unbelievable difference in temps. In 90 degree OAT and going up the mountains of Pa. the temp never went over 160 with tow haul. When OAT went below 80, trans temp was 150.

Surprisingly, the highest temp I saw was traveling on a very ruff road with small but rolling hills. I was going below 45 mph and the OAT was only 70. I looked down and saw the temp rising past 185. I pushed in towhaul and the temp went down to 140 in 5 miles. I guess when traveling that slow up even small hills, the torque converter never locks up and there isn't much airflow. I use towhaul now up all hills and turn it off on level ground. The torque converter sure is one big heat generator.

Another characteristic of the big cooler is to see almost instantaneous temperature changes. The only thing I've got to do now is put a thermostat inline for winter. I have seen many statements saying cold fluid is bad, but never a reason why.

I have found a thermostat at summit racing, but it only has 1/2" holes. Does anybody know of bigger ones?