PDA

View Full Version : Front Differential Locker?

Jim Brzozowski
01-14-2005, 10:12
Did the 02 Dmaxes come from the factory with a locker in the front?
I notice it seems to not want to make turns without considerable effort, acts like a locker would in the rear on pavement.

Lawnboy
01-14-2005, 10:14
Is it in 2WD or 4WD?

DmaxMaverick
01-14-2005, 10:42
That's normal in 4wd, but it does not have a locker in the front. When in 4wd, powertrain wind-up occurs because there is no differential between the front and rear axles. When turning, the front and rear need to turn at a different rate, which causes them to work against each other. This is not a new thing.

AWD vehicles don't have this problem because there is a diff between the axles to balance the load. The downside of AWD is all the power can be lost through one wheel that has lost traction, locking diff's notwithstanding.

dcalex
01-15-2005, 11:56
You really don't want to be in 4WD when on dry pavement.....your building up all kinds of pressures there as explained above. The chattering and scuffing of the tires in a turn is your first clue to take it out of 4WD....the next is when the axles snap.

ochster
01-15-2005, 13:01
Whats the opinion of driving in slush and rain conditions at 50-55mph while in 4x4?

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2005, 13:23
Originally posted by ochster:
Whats the opinion of driving in slush and rain conditions at 50-55mph while in 4x4? I know lots of folks do it, but I do not recommend it. Even wet pavement offers enough traction to cause excessive wear on the powertrain. It can also cause severe problems when trying to turn and traction is lost unexpectedly, like not turning (plowing). Slush depends on too many factors. What is the surface like under the slush? How dense is it? If your rear wheels have good traction, you don't need to be in 4wd. It will only get you INTO trouble. Too many variables to make a "one size fits all" statement. YMMV

madmatt
01-15-2005, 13:55
i used my auto 4wd on slick spotted roads.

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2005, 14:33
Originally posted by madmatt:
i used my auto 4wd on slick spotted roads. The HD's and 3500's don't have "auto 4 X 4". It's on or off.

YZF1R
01-15-2005, 18:03
I agree with what DmaxMaverick said. I know people that do it also, but my personal preference is not to. If I'm in 4wd, it's because I would stop moving or risk getting stuck if I didn't use it.

Steve

dcalex
01-15-2005, 18:21
I'll throw my hat in with the other guys on this too.....if you can drive that fast (assuming your doing it safe) then you have enough traction for 2WD....I live in snow country so I know when and where to use 4WD....but for the guy that is occassionaly exposed to it, my advice would be to use 4WD when your losing traction regularly. Under those conditions you wouldn't be going 50 mph....or shouldn't in my opinion. If the road is black, you probably don't need it.... If it's white...put 'er in 4WD. For sure there's exceptions....I can think of a few right now....but I think the above is good "rule of thumb" advice.