PDA

View Full Version : Only a 26 gal tank on 2wd Diesels?

McRat
08-23-2003, 12:19
Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I'm getting close to ordering.

Is this right? Only a 26g tank on 2wd Duramaxes?

Damn, my Olds minivan has that big of a tank. I'm almost tempted to order 4wd (which I have no need for in SoCal) just to get a real gas tank.

Desert Diesel
08-23-2003, 12:29
McRat,

Shortbeds get the 26 gallon tank and longbeds get the 34 gallon tank.

It doesn't matter if it's 2wd or 4wd

David

chuntag95
08-23-2003, 12:29
The fuel tank depends on the bed length, not 4x2 or 4x4. If you want the large tank, go with the long bed. Your best bet, IMHO, would be to put the 45 gallon transfer flow tank on after you get your truck if you want more fuel capacity. 4x4 will reduce your mpg and increase your cost more than the tank upgrade on your own. I have the 26 and run 350 to 400 in town stop n go traffic. That is better than the wife's truck that has a 30 gal in it by a min of 50 miles.

McRat
08-23-2003, 12:36
That's what I thought, but on Edmunds it lists only the 4x4 with the big tank.

Odd, the information was supplemental data provided by GMC. ????

imported_
08-23-2003, 13:06
I had the 45 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank installed. We do a lot of towing along the coast where the diesel stations are far in-btween. Towing I can go about 420 miles on one fill-up. Solo, about 700-800 depending on the type of driving.

For example, I filled up leaving Sacramento and went to San Francisco, 100 miles, down to Halfmoon Bay then back to San Francisco, about 50 miles, and then to LA, about 420 miles.

Still had about a little under 1/4 tank.

It makes a big difference.

imported_
08-23-2003, 13:12
I forgot to add: It cost me about $1,000 installed. Here's a link in case you are interested.

Transfer Flow Replacement Tank (http://www.transferflow.com/index.html)

Very nice operation at thier Chico facility. Another 1st class operation a-to-z.

imported_
08-23-2003, 13:16
McRat,

I just noticed you're from Corona. I 1st checked out the Aero Tank facility and tanks in Corona and found the Transfer Flow tank and operation to be head and shoulders above Aero Tank - worth the drive up to Chico.

Or, you can have them installed at Camping Worlds and other places, just about anywhere, or, do it yourself.

McRat
08-23-2003, 13:29
Thanks!

Good Info.

cmtndmax
08-23-2003, 22:48
The 26 gal. tank is a real short coming on these trucks especially towing. I didn't think 8 gals. less would be a big problem but it is more of a bother than I thought it would be. Some how dogde manages to put a 34 gal. tank on their short beds so it must not be to diffcult.

k1xv
08-24-2003, 06:53
Gee Whiz. Even if you were towing something really, really heavy and getting only 10 mpg, you could go 200 miles and still have 6 gallons in reserve.

And since diesel fuel weighs around 6.5 lbs per gallon(maybe more),hauling an extra 45 gallons adds around 300 lbs of weight, not counting the tank itself.

And when you stop for fuel, its a good opportunity to go potty. ;) ;) Or maybe said the other way, when you have to go potty, why not do it at a fuel stop?

Seriously, I have a 26 gallon tank that, over the road, gives me an easy working range of over 400 miles without getting too low on the fuel gauge needle. I have never found this range to be inconveniently low.

David Utz
08-24-2003, 11:41
K1xv,
It's not the "having to stop for fuel". It's having to get the truck with trailer attached into and out of a gas station. Most places just are not designed to fit a 50+ foot rig.
I have the 34 gal. tank which will allow me to drive for 10 to 12 hours with one fuel stop. If I can, that stop will be at a truck stop that has a "RV pump". If not, I may have to pass up several stations until I can find one that I can fit into. At night, I will drop the trailer at the campground and refuel solo for the next day.

VFRRider
08-24-2003, 14:33
I second David's statements. The extra tank is worth it in my view. Otherwise I'd have "where's the next fuel-up gonna be" constantly in the back of my mind. It's nice to drive all day with minimal stops (just bathroom breaks) and put some miles behind you. I got my TT to enjoy after I get there, not while pulling. Heck if I could get the spouse to feel comfortable driving with the 5th hooked up, I'd drive through the night to destinations. Michigan to Florida, only one fillup in Tenn. needed.

k1xv
08-25-2003, 08:20
OK, OK, I stand chastised and corrected. I agree even with my "no trailer" lifestyle that getting fuel can be a pain, particularly in stations that mix the diesel pumps in among the gas pumps and where, in my experience, there is often a low bed pulling semi using all the pumps to buy 200 gallons of fuel.