PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good Grease for Front End?

Cliffee
08-23-2003, 09:35
Was wondering what most are using for keeping up the grease on their front end?

Lone Eagle
08-23-2003, 17:10
I use Mobil 1 in the axle and the joints. Later! Frank ;)

steeltech
08-23-2003, 20:04
I'm using Texaco starplex 2.

jbplock
08-24-2003, 07:26
I've been using Amsoil Grease (http://www.amsoil.com/products/glc.html) for several years with no complaints... However when the AMSOIL runs out I may try some Schaeffer's 221 Moly Ultra EP (http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/221.html). The folks at BobIsTheOilGuy say it's good stuff - nice and sticky and it doesn't separate... smile.gif

a bear
08-24-2003, 09:15
Mystic JT8
Bill,
That schaffers looks like good stuff. Where can it be found?

Cliffee
08-24-2003, 09:37
I just picked up the Mobil 1 Synthetic stuff. It was either this or Castrol here locally. Thanks for the replies!

David Proske
08-24-2003, 09:57
I just got 3 tubes of the Schaeffer's 238 Moly Supreme. I will use it in a week or two on both of my trucks. I will report here what I think of it.

I have been using the Mobil 1 grease for a little bit and it seems that the oil in it seperates out, and runs out of the greese gun once it sits for a while. I want the synthetic oil in my chassis not on my shelf! :mad:

mackin
08-24-2003, 10:17
Whatever is in the gun .....

Mac ;)

Cliffee
08-24-2003, 10:27
I store everything in an AC enviroment. Here in AZ everything runs or seperates in this heat!

Lone Eagle
08-24-2003, 12:28
Damn hard to evaluate chassis grease. I only put four pumps in to get them full. At this rate it will be around 100K before I get the factory grease out. Later! Frank ;)

jbplock
08-24-2003, 13:00
Originally posted by a bear:
... That schaffers looks like good stuff. Where can it be found? Tommy,
I haven't purchased any Shaeffers products yet but here is one supplier contact I found at the OilGuy site ...

Tim Mills
Texarkana, Ar.
Tel: 870-772-7061, 800-737-7061

The Schaeffer's Website (http://www.schaefferoil.com/) also has a list of district sales reps by state. smile.gif

Cliffee
08-24-2003, 13:11
Is is ok to have a little grease leak out at the top or bottom boot seal? I was very carefull not to overfill but one had a lttle leaking out as soon as I started feeling the boot get a little firm.

jbplock
08-24-2003, 16:53
Originally posted by Cliffee:
Is is ok to have a little grease leak out at the top or bottom boot seal? I was very careful not to overfill but one had a little leaking out as soon as I started feeling the boot get a little firm. Cliffee,
Be extra careful with the ball joint boots. I had to learn the hard way… :( I was over zealous with my 98 K3500 and had one of the boots pop a hole in it. I just greased my 03 yesterday and I ended up not greasing the bottom ball joints as the boots were still firm from last time (5kmiles). The tie rod end boots also seem tight so I’m careful not to overfill these as well. With the other fittings I look for a little grease coming out of the joint (except the boots/fittings on the middle part of the tie rod – they seem to be a bottomless pit). I recently bought an air-powered grease gun, which also makes the job much easier … AV Lube's (http://www.avlube.com/) rubber grease caps are also very nice to have.
smile.gif

Cliffee
08-24-2003, 17:22
Thanks.
This was the first greasing and the truck has 12.5k mi.
I plan to pick up a air deal soon. The mechanical one I used was a real Pain.

dmaxalliTech
08-24-2003, 20:10
I have seen the Schaeffers stuff demo'd first hand. put some in my hand and swirled it around and added water, didnt break it down, held its tack.. I was very impressed. Did the same with Mobil-1 and it seperated and lost its tack.. A picture is worth a thousand words. We have a local Scheaffer rep,, very good guy..He will be a Diesel Day in Oct here in MI if any of you are coming..

jbplock
08-25-2003, 05:41
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
I have seen the Schaeffers stuff demo'd first hand ... I was very impressed... Eric, If you like the Schaeffers I 'll definitely give it a try . :cool:

Also, after looking closer at the #221 data sheet (http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/221.html) I saw that the temp range on the NGLI2 was 0 to 350 deg F - not quite low enough for the cold NE. I asked the folks at BobIsTheOilGuy about all season use and they directed me to the Schaeffers Synthetic Blend #274 data sheet (http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/274.html), which shows a temp range of -45 to 350degF. (Hopefully that will cover all seasons here in upstate NY. :eek: )

JimWilson
08-25-2003, 19:16
Mobil 1 Synthetic.

thechevyhdman
08-25-2003, 20:02
I dont really find any purpose to buy fancy smancy synthetic grease for front ends...wheel bearings etc yeah Synthetic is worth the cost....Personally I use the cheapest my supplier has....Amalie PolyProBlue.....Have used it for almost 6 years now. And in much more demanding conditions(lawn mower spindle bearings) Almost 1400 hrs with out a single bearing failure yet..I dont think its even more than 3 or 4 bucks a tube.....My next grease choice will be a new grease put out by Citgo(green grease)...Extended Service Grease For lazy azzes like Mack that rarely grease their trucks.....

Seriously though...you think the investment of Synthetic grease will ever pay off???? How much does it run a tube?
Bill

mackin
08-25-2003, 20:13
Hey

Twice in almost 36K ..... :eek:

Dude it sucks, messy dirty, the worst, with NO immediate self gratification ...... tongue.gif

What ever is in the gun (Texaco Red last one I loaded)..... PPPPHHFFTTT,goes the boot .....

Mac :D :D :D

dmaxalliTech
08-25-2003, 20:22
Not trying to be a Schaeffer salesman, but IIRC, his stuff is very reasonable.. a few bucks a tube is all..

AbqGeorge
08-25-2003, 21:07
Definately will have to check out this Schaeffer stuff. What I find annoying is the separation with the stuff I use. Sears Moly Disulfide something or other and that Blue Marine grease for the boat trailer. I store my grease guns in a plastic trashcan because so darned much oil runs out. Makes you wonder about the efficacy of what's left in the gun?

SPICER
08-27-2003, 21:07
I use Mobil synthetic.....I have a question...Besides the 11 fittings under the truck, is there any other lube needs? Do the U-joints or any other component under the truck benefit from a spray lube? Just wondering....SPICER