PDA

View Full Version : Keyway front lift ?

Larry Decker
08-23-2003, 09:07
Hello,
I was at a local 4X4 performance shop and inquired about a way to raise the front end a little on my 2500HD 4x4 CC Dmax. The shop owner recomended to instal new keyways for the torsion bars for about $300.00 I have no reason to raise it other than I do not like the low front end look. I did put 265's on the stock rims so it does look a little better but... My main concern is drivability as I drive a lot. I do not want a "Quick fix" that will cause me problems going down the highway or anywhere else. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks for your help in advance, Larry.

SoCalDMAX
08-23-2003, 09:37
Hi Larry! Welcome! Past threads covered this but here's a recap.

If he's selling torsion keys, they're factory Ford or GM pieces (either will fit) that cost $50. Waaaay too high, Amigo. why spend $300 on $50 parts that merely re-index the torsions? Just turn the adjuster bolts, that's what they're for.

Using a known level, flat area (wharehouse or shop) measure from frame to floor at all 4 corners. My bet is the front is lower by 1" and the DS is lower than the PS by about 3/4". Don't worry, you don't need to go on a diet. ;) I suspect some Jr. Engineer got crossed up on his CAD dwg and indexed one of the keys wrong. No matter.

There is an adjuster bolt on each one and 1 turn will raise it about 1/4". To make mine level, the DS took about 7 turns and the PS took about 4. I didn't think about jackng the truck up and relieving tension on the suspension, so I turned the adjusters fully loaded, no problem. (I'm ah girrrly-man ;) ) IIRC you need a 3/4" socket.

final result: looks level, RIDES VERY SMOOTH and took 10-15 min and 1 beverage.

the best thing you can do to improve ride quality is to get rid of the factory pogo stick shocks. If you want great on and off road control, go Bilsteins. If you want 9 way adjustability for varying loads, go Rancho 9000x. Either can be found for under $250 a set.

Notes:

Use jackstands if jacking it up.

After adjusting, drive it a bit to settle it out and re-measure for final height.

As long as you are not at the end of the suspension's travel and binding it up, the ride will not suffer - you are adjusting the RIDE HEIGHT, not spring rate or suspension stiffness as some might try to tell you.

If you have 4WD do not bind up the CV joints with excessive angle. 1" should be well within range.

Regards, Steve

Cliffee
08-23-2003, 10:21
My dealer said anyting over 4 turns and you will need a wheel alignment. Ive heard that before as well.

dmaxalliTech
08-23-2003, 21:58
I personally am not a big fan of different torsion bar keys, I have installed them and then took them back out just a few weeks later, WAY to stiff a ride. It did however raise the truck..The ride sacrifice was not worth it IMHO. You can crank up the factory keys a little to level it off. I agree with Cliffee, you go to much, you better get her lined up. Better to be safe then sorry. I have cranked mine up a little more in the winter when I carry the plow as it helps a little, ride dont suffer cause I am 900lbs on the front bumper...NO matter what you do, dont spend $300.00 bucks, not worth it.

afp
08-23-2003, 22:03
Since this has come again......

I have the levelling kit form Hill Country 4WD. http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com/

They allow an easy 2" nose raise virtually without changing the ride. Now, if you go over over 2" to the 3" limit, you will get a rough rise. But at 2" the ride is like stock. I have had mine on for 9 months with no problems. You need a torsion bar tool or like I did, get an 8" 2-Jaw gear puller from sears. You will need an alignment. It makes a huge difference off rad in these nose heavy rigs.

Blaine

Larry Decker
08-24-2003, 20:36
To all in the know,
Is the system mentioned in the link different than the keys? Please excuse my ignorance, I know very little about IFS 4x4 and how to modify it. I appreciate all the feedback and money saving advise.
Thanks, Larry

SoCalDMAX
08-24-2003, 23:22
Larry,

The Hill kit is the $300 keys.

Regards, Steve

afp
08-26-2003, 21:27
I paid $149 for my pair of keys from Hill Country 4WD last Nov. The are still $149 for the pair. Go to the Hill Country Website and click on "8 Lug and HD Levelling Kit".

Blaine

ski
08-26-2003, 22:17
ditto afp.

hill keys are $149. the kit consists of these two keys. running them for about 11 months, also with new shocks have proved great results. truck is level and the family loves the ride. i wold suggest the gm torsion bar tool in case the gear puller is not enough, i ran into this on my drivers side. I first went for three inches to look at the cv angles, etc and was not too pleased. ride was not more firm, just extremely bounce and easily bottomed out. at just a hair over 2 inches, ride is better than stock. front end does not dive after speed bumps anymore and better feeling for control. My .02 cents

03BlueHD
08-27-2003, 09:59
The keys from a 1500 are the same thing and cost about $30. :eek:

Camstyn
08-27-2003, 11:20
Go to your GM dealer and order two of these part #'s: 15592573.

If you pay full list price, it will be $48 + tax. You can send me the rest of the $300 you were going to spend. :eek: :D

afp
08-27-2003, 16:35
Though there is not a huge amount of data out there, I haven't heard of anyone having complaints about the Hill Country Kit, but there have been complaints about the other keys, including the various factory options.

Blaine

[ 08-27-2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: afp ]

DMAXED
08-30-2003, 17:21
How do I get the keys out of the crossmember it looks like the puller won't fit, can I pound them out with a hammer and bar ? Do I have to drop the lower control arm to unload the torsion bar any help would be great

Thanks Tom

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-30-2003, 17:42
I have been reading as many of the posts as I could about the keys, torsion bars, lifts, etc. and decided to try turning up the factory keys that came on the truck before spending any money on an alternative. I finished yesterday and in less than 1 hour I was able to raise the front 1 3/4" with at least 5/8" of threads still left. When I raised the front the rear went down 1/2". At the same time, within the one hour, I put on 4 Chrome H2 17x8.5 wheels with 315/70R/17 BFG tires and my original center caps. I had to tie back the parking brake cable and trim the bottom of the air dam. :eek:

The final height with the torsion bars cranked and the new tires is 4 1/4" higher in front than stock and sits almost level. If anything the front appears slightly higher which is what I wanted. The ride is exactly the same IMHO which may not be worth much, but my wife has ridden in it 3 times since done and she says that it feels the same to her. I now have the look/stance/ride I want and no more $$$$. :D :D :D

Check the pictures in my signature!! I'm very happy!! smile.gif

2DAMAX