PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Fluid

Zap
11-16-2002, 18:10
Can anyone tell me if GM Auto-Trak II is the correct fluid for the transfer case? My dealer said it was but he didn't seem to sure, he also said something about the part number changing.

Captain Mal
11-16-2002, 18:57
ZAP,

Sticker on the transfer case says to use any Dexron II rated transmission oil. I just stuck 2 quarts of 'something' in it once and over 100K miles later it's 'doin it's thing'. I don't think it's fussy.

'01 GMC D/A ext. 4x4 sb

DmaxMaverick
11-17-2002, 02:26
Zap

Auto trac II fluid is for automatic transfer cases only, like in the 1500's, 1500HD's, 2500's and SUV's. If you have a 2500HD or 3500, use Dexron III ATF. They are NOT compatible.

Zap
11-17-2002, 18:35
Thanks for the replies. I looked in my owners manual and it said to use Auto Track fluid for electronic transfer cases. My window sticker says I have an electronic shift transfer case, so I guess the Auto Trak fluid would be correct. My truck is a 2500 HD Duramax/Allison.

t
e

Idle_Chatter
11-17-2002, 21:23
Zap, that stupid listing in the owner's manual has brought this question up dozens of times here in the forum. You do NOT need auto trak fluid! You have "electronic SHIFTED transfer case" on your sticker because you have buttons to shift to 4wd instead of a lever. The AUTO TRAK transfer case is also "electronic shifted" and only available with buttons in 1500 vehicles that never have levers. It is a full-time 4wd transfer case and option that is NOT available in ANY DMAX. ALL of the DMax trucks use Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dexron III or equivalent) in the transfer case.

Dawg
11-17-2002, 21:26
I agree with DmaxMaverick. The 2500HD and 3500HD that have the push button electroic 4 wheel drive is not the same as the automatic 4 wheel drives in the light duty models. Think of the HD's as having the the same old manual transfer case as we have known for years. Except with the electric shift you no longer have to pull the shifter you just push the button instead! I believe the auto 4 wheel drives "automatically" sends power to the wheels as it detects wheel slippage. (Nothing to push)

Turbo Al
11-18-2002, 17:51
Aww come on DAWG I still have a handle to pull smile.gif
Just call me "Old fashioned" I guess.

blue_lightning
11-18-2002, 18:31
I just changed my transfer case fluid yesterday. On my truck (02 2500HD D/A), there was a sticker on the transfer case telling me to use Dextron III or IIIe fluid only. If you have any doubt what your truck uses, crawl under and check it out to be safe. It was not easy getting the replacement fluid in, but I managed ok. Also changed the front diff fluid while I was there.

Dawg
11-19-2002, 15:45
Turbo Al, I'm old fashioned as well. There is still alot of good to be said about turning the hubs and locking the transfer case in. This new fancy stuff is nice but the old way wasn't too bad either! ;)

MEP
11-20-2002, 19:40
At least when you locked the hubs and pulled on that (those) levers you new you were in 4WD! I drove a 61 Willys Utility Wagon for 17 years. Loved those two lever connected to that cast iron Spicer xfer case and those Warn hubs.