PDA

View Full Version : New Tires on my 03

Steve Cornell
11-16-2002, 12:12
I just got home from trading my stock 245 Bridgestones for a set of Michelin LT M\S 265\75\16 E rated.

The tire dealer allowed me $100 ea for the stock tires.

Is there any "ill effect" from running the 245 as a spare if I get a flat??, if so I guess I should go swap the spare as well.

Also for those of you that have gone to 265s, how much is your speedo off?, my dealer will reprogram the PCM for me for free but just wondering if it's worth the time?
My dealer and service manager (which I have know for many years) assures me there will be no warrenty problem with the larger tires (nice to deal with a "small town" dealer where everyone knows everyone smile.gif

matt-max
11-16-2002, 12:26
depending on how much you spent on the michelins it seems you got a great deal.

i've paid from $150 to $180 for them new and never got more than $60 each for the firestones in trade. they were crap.

the 150 or so miles i put on the bridgestones was another story...they didn't spin, didn't squeal, didn't make noise...just acted like tires are supposed to, unlike the firestones. maybe that's why the extra trade in $? i put mine on the '01 with the pyo's when i traded it in.

you can recalibrate if you want, but if you do some testing on milemarkers, radar construction signs, friendly or otherwise cops, gps, etc you will find that your speedo is dead on instead of a bit optimisitic as it was with the 245s.

matt

mark45678
11-16-2002, 14:47
steve your a smart man!!!! my truck is 1 year old 35000 miles 3/4 worn out fire-craps slideing all over the place!!!! I just wished I had done the same!!! I was thinking of haveing the dealer swap my 10k tires of my 98 when I trade it in but didnt..... On the 93 I had 103K (no this isnt a type-o) 103K with 4/32 left at the wear bar!!!!! still good wet traction to! michelin LTX/AT mud and snow 245-75-16 E for me if they dont make 265's..... last time I checked the "AT" tread didnt come in 265? Best of all the tires I have ever used! smile.gif

Steve Cornell
11-16-2002, 15:53
The Firestones on my 01 were about 1\2 gone when I traded (24,000 miles) and much of this was towing a heavy gooseneck, so I can't really complain about the Firestones, I only got 34,000 out of the Firestones on my 99 ( also towing).

I like the 3415 lb rating of the Michelins plus the Bridgestones that came on my 03 just looked to darn small smile.gif

NutNbutGMC
11-16-2002, 19:50
^.....Steve, smart move for the best tire. I put Michelins on the Chuckwagon before it left the lot on day 1. I have 265's here and coincidentaly, just today I passed a roadside radar unit with the sign telling one what their speed is. I set the cruise on 42 (that's a first for NutNb), and with the new Michelin M/S 265s, the radar clocked me at 43 <--> 44 mph. I'm not going to worry about the 1-2 MPH difference. The 245 spare (may) trip an SES when two different sizes are detected on the rear (as I read somewhere here, recently). SES is linked to (sensing) that the ABS component may have a failure (false, of course). As for the front, I'd use it until I could get the 265 back on (ASAP).

Disclaimer: Just my $0.02 worth.

NickLeinonen
11-17-2002, 08:17
if you have an open rear diff, the 245 spare will make no difference [look at honda's with the space saver spares]

however, if you have a locking diff, the 245 again will work, but in the front only. run it in the rear and you can seriously wear out the clutches...