PDA

View Full Version : Larger Fuel Tank

Bill Knieper
11-15-2002, 10:59
My 2003 will be delivered in 2 weeks and the first thing I want to do in replace the 26 gal tank with a larger one. Have any of you installed a Transfer Flow 45 gal tank in place of the original on a short bed. If so, does it hang down lower than the original? I do not think I want it to go below the frame rails?
Thanks

DMaxCaptain
11-15-2002, 11:36
Have had the 45 gal TransferFlow for over a year. Originally installed in my 2001 ExCab but took it out prior to trading for my current '03 CrewCab. Easy install and good fit (helps to have a helper, the tank wieghs 115#). Last 4-5 gals takes a little long to fill due to the shape of the back of the tank and the fact it has to vent out the rollover vent. All in all, very satisfied...

turbolag
11-15-2002, 16:44
Mounted the 45 gallon tank by myself, major pain in the butttttt. Have a good helper when you do this job. The tank seems to be even with the frame rails back to the larger section of the tank where the roll-over vent is located. I'm not sure I would mount tank if I spent a lot of time off road. No complaints on the tank, well built, good instructions and much larger fuel capacity. Buy the larger fuel neck when you purchase the tank.

imported_
11-15-2002, 20:20
Had mine installed at the Transfer Flow shop in Chico, CA for $125 install charge.

They have a 1st class operation. The tank hangs below the frame about 1.5 inch but is higher than other components that hang a little lower than the tank.

The 12 gauge steel bottom plate is plenty tough enough to stand up to most applications. However, I would not recommend it for heavy off-road use.

I checked-out the Aerotank at their location in Corona, CA and found it is made of lighter materials - 16 gauge.

I'm very pleased with the quality of the tank and the service that Transfer Flow provided.

Highly recommended.

Paintdude
11-15-2002, 22:08
I am a dealer for Tranfer Flow if any of you Illinois guys want a discount, let me know.. :D

pitboss
11-16-2002, 10:53
Paintdude,

Now THAT'S a truck! I had a Reflexxion cowl induction hood on my 02 ChevHD. I can't wait for someone to come out with something for the 03's, maybe ram air this time, I dunno.

On the tanks, aren't you the one who came up with the idea of putting an aux tank in the bed, with a high quality filter between the tanks (a great idea to help with the fuel quality issue receiving all the attention now)? I've e-mailed Transfer Flow and they say their .5gpm pump should be able to push the fuel through - I just need to figure out who makes and how to install such a set-up. The only thing with TF is that I understand it's set up to equalize levels between the tanks, so you can't fill both tanks from the aux tank unless you sit at the pumps for an hour. Of course 50 gals in the aux is still more than double stock capacity ...

Burner
11-16-2002, 11:27
Could one of you'es guys post some pictures of the install? I "really" would like to have about 10 more gallon cap. Does the system use any of the stock parts or its it just a bigger can?

Thanks,

Burner :D

IndigoDually
11-16-2002, 11:47
I think MDRAG has pics of the stock and TransferFlow tanks side by side when he did his install.

John

mackin
11-16-2002, 13:36
Paintdude

How about the retro fit fill neck???? Deal??01.....
=>http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_fillneck_kits.html

MAC :D

Paintdude
11-17-2002, 01:10
Mac, my cost on the filler neck is 80 bucks..retail is 100..Not really much of a savings..When I have to pay shipping to me then to you..:/

I use a 2.5 gallon per min pump to transfer mine from aux to the main fuel tank and just have a auto 3/8 fuel filter in line before the pump..I fill the main tank from the filler neck, I added a barbed fitting, drill and braze a old filter end on it 3/8...

They might make a hood for the 03`s before long..I will try and keep up on it and let ya know..Goodmark makes mine..

RichBailey
11-17-2002, 09:25
I had the 45gal transferflow tank put on, and am very pleased with the quality of the tank. I had TF do the install, they were running a $99 special. You would not want to take serious offroading, tank is much lower than stock. But the extra capacity is fantastic. Just drove to Las Vegas (680 mi) and had 10 gallons left.

And why does GM set these trucks up to have the low fuel warning light come on when there is 7 gallons left??

FirstDiesel
11-17-2002, 10:48
The one and only time I've had my Low Fuel light come on I only got about 5 gallons into the tank, and I squeezed it full. I also was pulling into the station when the light lit so I didn't run for miles with it on.

Personally I think the light comes on early because GM is trying to prevent the person unable to prime the system from running it dry on the side of the road.

pinehill
11-17-2002, 10:59
Rich asks, "And why does GM set these trucks up to have the low fuel warning light come on when there is 7 gallons left??"

There are probably two reasons:

1. Float type liquid level sensors are not very accurate, and GM thought that you might be happier seeing the warning light a bit early rather than as you are coasting to a stop with no fuel.

2. Fuel is used to cool the fuel injector driver electronics, which dissipate a lot of heat, before being returned to the fuel tank. On a long drive in hot weather, the contents of the tank will absorb a lot of this heat and, with a very low fuel level will show a large temperature rise. The hot fuel is much less effective in cooling the electronics and could induce premature electronics failure. Seems like a good reason not to run very low fuel levels, particularly in hot weather.