PDA

View Full Version : High frequency vibes

3176CATPOWER
06-15-2002, 05:30
My 2002 HD has started to do the same thing my 2001 K2500 gasser done.After about 5000 miles on each they put out vibrations at freeway speeds that make your feet and fingers tingle.Most noteable on concrete on interstate.Does not seem like tires out of balance.The 2001 K2500 had 18,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and a 100 miles on the interstate would really make your extremities numb.As I said neither truck did this on the same roads until after 5000 miles and never had the problem with previous trucks.Any suggestions are welcome.

mark45678
06-15-2002, 20:29
mines got those crap firepop tire and they have been ballanced 3 times in 17K still vibrates at 80 mph and gets worse the faster you go..... Hello tire man go a set of michelin LTX AT's in stock? the last set I got a 107K out of then with 5/32 left at the wear bar! :eek:

JEBar
06-16-2002, 19:27
Mine did the same thing when I rotated my tires at 5,000...turned out two of my rims weren't round and had to be replaced...corrected the problem smile.gif

odoh
06-16-2002, 20:14
I too am running the FireFlops. Today, found myself zipping along I-80 at 80mph. Nary a vibe/bounce. It was so smooth that I was surprised at the speed. The truck wants to fly!!

As for tingling hands ~ I think I would look for something at higher rpm to create such symptoms (chainsaws does it for me). I'm wondering driveline? One can understand JEBar like experience as he had TWO causations.

One would think that what w/all the Ford Explorer/Firestone fuss, that they'd work harder to produce better tires to offset/overcome all the bad PR. At least I hope so, because the purchase of the truck has flattened the purse for a longish while and I gotta run those wheels/tires as long as I can.

Over the yrs I had to work on my own vechicles and needed a benchmark to determine if performance was falling off. I established the Hwy 193/Gold Hill Road stop sign to Yamamoto's mail box distance as my standard. All my cars, when in good health, could make the mailbox indicating approx 54mph. If a car wouldn't, I knew it was time to work on it.

Today, just for the heck of it, I ran it w/the Dmax. It flew passed the mailbox at 74mph!! This is one baaad truck! :eek:
~ odoh

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>